Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2002

This is just a tip for non-EU colleagues who either handle EU terminology or answer questions related to EU terminology.

The majority of these terms are published in all the official languages of the Union in the Official Journal of the European Communities, which has a URL starting http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/ followed by a language code (en for English, es for Spanish, fr for French, etc.). If a we
... See more
This is just a tip for non-EU colleagues who either handle EU terminology or answer questions related to EU terminology.

The majority of these terms are published in all the official languages of the Union in the Official Journal of the European Communities, which has a URL starting http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/ followed by a language code (en for English, es for Spanish, fr for French, etc.). If a websearch in the source language turns up this URL and leads to an official page, this will have a published version in any of the other official languages (eur-lex pages usually come with language buttons). This will help you avoid a lot of effort and error, since the OJ, which is published in several series every day, is the recognised terminology source for all official purposes.

This, despite the fact that some of the so-called \"official translations\" may not sound like the original text at all. This does not change the fact that they have been published, are accepted by the Commission, and that we have to live with them. They probably have a longer history than the face value of the phrase in question.

The most reliable indicator in this type of websearch is when the source text turns up a year/number series, followed by the identification \"EU\", \"UE\", \"EG\", etc., in the format (for example) 91/155/UE (or CE/EC in the case of the Commission). This is the hallmark of a Directive, equivalent to a published legal guideline (in the same way as nations use law code abbreviations), and refers to a text of a legislative nature. By changing the last letters into the abbreviation used in the target language, you will find the official text in the target language.

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:50
German to English
Another handy resource May 24, 2002

Cecilia, I don\'t know if you\'re familiar with this search engine for EU texts. You can find texts related to your topic in all of the EU languages.

http://europa.eu.int/geninfo/query_en.htm

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a nice link, Kim! May 24, 2002

I\'m really directing this advice to people who have not got experience with the OJEC and related eur-lex publications. It\'s been too often that we get misleading translations from other non-OJEC readers who end up sending back things we go crazy looking for, and since \"harmonisation\" is more hooked up these days than it was 20 years ago, we simply can\'t afford it.

I\'m working right now on \"Peste Porcina Clásica\", which the veterinarians call several other things, al
... See more
I\'m really directing this advice to people who have not got experience with the OJEC and related eur-lex publications. It\'s been too often that we get misleading translations from other non-OJEC readers who end up sending back things we go crazy looking for, and since \"harmonisation\" is more hooked up these days than it was 20 years ago, we simply can\'t afford it.

I\'m working right now on \"Peste Porcina Clásica\", which the veterinarians call several other things, all correct. But since it goes to the EU and has a specific target audience, I have to use \"Classic Swine Fever\", a.k.a. CSF in officialese. I\'m using this as an example, but there are other things that the reader will not be able to access by way of background reading if the translator gets too arbitrary (he could be more correct, of course, but he loses the history of the thread).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For Non-EU Translators Dealing with EU Translations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »