Titles and Bibliography
Thread poster: archista
archista
archista
Spain
Local time: 22:48
English to Spanish
Aug 21, 2016

I know this has been dealt with many times before, but I still have my doubts.

I'm translating an academic article for an important American Magazine.

I know that if a title of a book has no translation, it has to stay in the original language, with no tranlation. But, what if they have been translated?
Should it be
Original title (Translated Title)
or
Translated Title (Original title)
or
Just the translated title...
Estoy tra
... See more

I know that if a title of a book has no translation, it has to stay in the original language, with no tranlation. But, what if they have been translated?
Should it be
Original title (Translated Title)
or
Translated Title (Original title)
or
Just the translated title...
Estoy trabajando en la traducción de un artículo para una revista académica americana que se ponen especialmente quisquillosos con el idioma y el formato de la bibliografía...

And what about the Bibliography? Should I translate titles which have been consulted in the original language?
What do I need to change when translating bibliography? (pp. for página in Spanish, p. for page in English?)

An example:
Scholes, Robert y Rabkin, Eric (1977). Science fiction: History. Science. Vision, Nueva York, Oxford UP. Ed. esp.: La ciencia ficción: Historia. Ciencia. Perspectiva, Remigio Gómez Díaz (trad.), Madrid, Taurus, 1982.

It has been translated, but in the English article, should I leave it the same or rather...
Scholes, Robert y Rabkin, Eric (1977). Science fiction: History. Science. Vision, Nueva York, Oxford UP

I'm mixed up...
Collapse

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ask the client Aug 21, 2016

Simply ask the client how they would like this translated, then you'll know. I don't see any harm in asking.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:48
English to Thai
+ ...
Translated Title (Original title) Aug 21, 2016

archista wrote:

I use the format in topic since translated texts are prioritized over original texts e.g. title.

Soonthon L.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Original title - don't translate Aug 22, 2016

In my experience of study, the standard golden rule is not to translate the title of a work, a magazine, a journal etc. A bibliography serves to enable anyone reading the article to track down the references cited. The original reference must be used.

If the author read an article in German and references the article in its German version, you must retain that title in German. If the author used an old French edition of a book, that too should be referenced in its French title. All
... See more
In my experience of study, the standard golden rule is not to translate the title of a work, a magazine, a journal etc. A bibliography serves to enable anyone reading the article to track down the references cited. The original reference must be used.

If the author read an article in German and references the article in its German version, you must retain that title in German. If the author used an old French edition of a book, that too should be referenced in its French title. All the elements making up the original reference used (edition, date, page number, etc.) apply to that version. For example, if the article referred to is in French and you translate the title into English. If the person tries to find the reference in English, that indicates that in the work referenced, on the same date, the same edition, the same page number the article is also available in English. (Résumés/Abstracts often appear in English in a French article, for example. That does not mean the article is in English). Another example of a problem that could arise, is that if an English version of the article does actually exist, it may have been published elsewhere, in a different journal, with a different date, with different page numbers).

No you should not transform the references cited in any way. They must remain identical.

[Edited at 2016-08-22 00:07 GMT]

Even if the book referenced by the author exists in a translated version, you do not refer to the translated version. The idea is that you enable the reader to refer to the exact source the author used. You can check this out by looking through a couple of articles published in the same academic field as the one you are translating. Sooner or later you will come across references in Spanish and certainly, almost always, references in English. Many articles published by authors who are non native speakers of English publish only in English in order to attain the widest readership possible.

[Edited at 2016-08-22 00:15 GMT]
Collapse

Mariacruz Gonzalez
Uvierode Woglo

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Publisher's Style Guide Aug 22, 2016

Joseph Tein wrote:

Simply ask the client how they would like this translated, then you'll know. I don't see any harm in asking.

I agree with Joseph's suggestion, as publishers have their own style guides contributors, translators, editors, proofreaders etc. have to comply with for articles, notes, references and bibliographies. So, I am pretty sure an 'important American magazine' will no doubt have one, too. In fact, I am surprised they did not email you their style guide alongside the article you have been asked to translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Titles and Bibliography

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »