Laurie B
Canada
Local time: 23:30
Member (Sep 2017)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 11, 2016

Hi there,

This is for a 7-page academic CV, full of names of organizations, journals, academic projects and papers, universities and more (SP >> EN).

The best practice seems to be to keep the original and translated names side by side, so that the reader can understand what the name means and then easily look up the original work. The text is becoming very heavy, as I have to include both names for almost every line of text. I am considering translating almost everything (except some school or NGO names) and adding a superscript number next to each item, then including a list of numbered references at the end, all in the original language.

Any thoughts on this? I just want to know whether or not it would be unprofessional.
Thank you!

Laurie

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
It's professional but deserves higher payment. Oct 12, 2016

I think this information would be appreciated by the end customer, but if you haven't already agreed a price for this job, it should be a lot higher than your normal per-word rates, because it involves about twice the usual amount of work and the translated document will be about twice as long as the original.

Laurie B
Canada
Member (Sep 2017)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thanks for the reply! As a new translator, I don't have much room to bargain, but that's good to know.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Why not localization? Oct 13, 2016

Oh, fortunately we had to cut the CVs shorter than five pages, highlighting the most relevant and combining (sacrificing) not so relevant.

Double-trouble seems relatively ok, unless one is to send both SP and EN CVs, so the reader could get it straight. A couple of times I did encounter original names in Appendix or remarks (at e-paper), yet I'm not sure how certain American/British institutions might treat such an approach.

Cheers

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:30
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
With a CV, there are no absolute rules Oct 13, 2016

Laurie B wrote:
The best practice seems to be to keep the original and translated names side by side, so that the reader can understand what the name means and then easily look up the original work. The text is becoming very heavy, as I have to include both names for almost every line of text.

That's certainly what you need to do for official documents such as degrees. However, a CV is essentially a marketing document and that's how I deal with them. In marketing, you need to present the very best image to the reader. AFAIC, using loads of words in a language that the reader doesn't understand is not going to give a good impression at all. It must be very off-putting having to wade through unintelligible stuff to find what the person has done.

I am considering translating almost everything (except some school or NGO names) and adding a superscript number next to each item, then including a list of numbered references at the end, all in the original language.

Any thoughts on this? I just want to know whether or not it would be unprofessional.

It would certainly be an option, and maybe a good one. If you find the EN version in a reasonable number of good places around the web, then I'd consider dispensing with the Spanish version. By good places, I mean reputable sites rather than other CVs or blogs etc. A university may not use any translation itself but if education consultants (for example) agree on one EN name, then I'd just use that. For academic papers, it will depend on whether an official translation was done. If there was one, then that's its name in EN and the ES name isn't needed. If there wasn't, you need to keep the ES name and then give a literal translation for information purposes - don't make it look as though it's a title.

Are you doing this through an agency? I'd consider checking with them first. They may not be terribly helpful and want to leave it up to you, or they may have a definite answer, even one that comes from the CV's owner. Many owners like to have a say. I cut my translator's teeth on CVs as I spent six years running a "CV in English" workshop for unemployed job-seekers in France, but I never offer the service nowadays. It was frustrating translating a French-style CV (often a poor one, at that), delivering a document that I knew would just be thrown in the bin by any English-speaking HR manager . I find it better to work directly with CV owners who speak enough English to prepare their own EN-version CV, helping them to make it as appealing as possible to EN speakers.

As Jack says, you should expect to be spending a lot of time researching and typing, a lot more than on a "normal" text. The per-word rate should really reflect that.

Laurie B
Canada
Member (Sep 2017)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These comments have been very helpful Oct 13, 2016

Thanks for your thorough answers. They have all been very helpful. I've been doing this translation independently, as a volunteer for a non-profit organization, so there was little guidance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Academic CV: Translating names of projects, organizations, papers, etc

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search