FR>EN Medical CV Translation: Do names of universities, qualifications need to be translated?
Thread poster: Jennifer Norman

Jennifer Norman
Canada
Local time: 20:13
French to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2016

Specifically:

'Université Laval' > Laval University
'Université de Sherbrooke' > Sherbrooke University
'Diplôme d'études spécialisées' > Specialized Diploma

There also some honours and awards from Université Laval to be translated.

What do we think?


 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:13
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The CV is a marketing text Oct 18, 2016

Jennie Norman wrote:
'Université Laval' > Laval University
'Université de Sherbrooke' > Sherbrooke University

I would definitely translate both. The target language is of far more use to the reader
'Diplôme d'études spécialisées' > Specialized Diploma

I might translate it, but I certainly wouldn't use capital letters. The source term has a specific meaning - not just any old specialised diploma. I say "might translate it" because it depends a lot on the surrounding context. I would do as I saw fit to most accurately convey the level, type and content of this course to an English speaker. That might involve leaving the French term.


 

Maria De Rose  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:13
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
I usually do Oct 18, 2016

Yes I wpuld translate both and with regards to degrees I usually leave the original title in brackets.

 

Jennifer Norman
Canada
Local time: 20:13
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 18, 2016

Thank you for the advice.
The safest bet is to translate and put the original in brackets. Or perhaps the other way around?

For Université Laval and Université de Sherbrooke I'm still not 100% sure. Both are Francophone Canadian Universities that operate under their French names. Again, the safest thing to do would be to put both I imagine?

Thank you again,

J.


 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:13
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I wouldn't Oct 18, 2016

Jennie Norman wrote:
For Université Laval and Université de Sherbrooke I'm still not 100% sure. Both are Francophone Canadian Universities that operate under their French names. Again, the safest thing to do would be to put both I imagine?

I'm not sure there's a 100% right or wrong answer. But I think readers - or at least some of them - would find it insulting. Do you know an English speaker who wouldn't be able to put 2 and 2 together?


 

Jennifer Norman
Canada
Local time: 20:13
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So just in French? Oct 18, 2016

I see what you mean.

If you were me, would you leave the original French names?


 

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here's my take Oct 18, 2016

Jennie,

I would never, ever use brackets (like < and >) on a resumé or CV. That would be a no-no (or non-non ?)

icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I would use the university's French name, followed by an English equivalent in parentheses. However, the emphasis on any CV is the actual name of the institution, without explanations or parentheses if you can avoid them. Both approaches could work. You could always create one version with just the French official names, and another with the French name (English translation).

And the English translation is for the HR reader whom we can't expect to know foreign languages (at least here in America). It's a parenthetical explanation, completely optional in character.

Cheers,

Mario


 

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A question Oct 19, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Jennie,

I would never, ever use brackets (like < and >) on a resumé or CV. That would be a no-no (or non-non ?)

icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I would use the university's French name, followed by an English equivalent in parentheses. However, the emphasis on any CV is the actual name of the institution, without explanations or parentheses if you can avoid them. Both approaches could work. You could always create one version with just the French official names, and another with the French name (English translation).

And the English translation is for the HR reader whom we can't expect to know foreign languages (at least here in America). It's a parenthetical explanation, completely optional in character.

Cheers,

Mario



Are you saying that one should have 2 versions of his or her CV: One version should have the names of his or her universities kept in his or her native language, and another should have these translated into English?


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:13
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Familiar target language Oct 19, 2016

Jennie Norman wrote:

Specifically:

'Université Laval' > Laval University
'Université de Sherbrooke' > Sherbrooke University
'Diplôme d'études spécialisées' > Specialized Diploma

There also some honours and awards from Université Laval to be translated.

What do we think?


I always translate into English since EN is the language we (including target readers) are mostly familiar with.

Soonthon L.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FR>EN Medical CV Translation: Do names of universities, qualifications need to be translated?

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search