\"Feldfunktionen\"
Thread poster: Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:46
German to English
Jun 1, 2002

I hope I\'m in the correct forum for this!

I have a document containing several \"Field functions\". They need to be translated and I\'m afraid I don\'t know how to go about it. They have the following form {Dokumenttitel/*CHARFORMAT} or {Dokumenttyp/*CHARFORMAT}. There are others with date, page number, etc.

I cannot simply write over them and I can\'t find any other way to edit them. Can anyone help?

Much appreciated.

... See more
I hope I\'m in the correct forum for this!

I have a document containing several \"Field functions\". They need to be translated and I\'m afraid I don\'t know how to go about it. They have the following form {Dokumenttitel/*CHARFORMAT} or {Dokumenttyp/*CHARFORMAT}. There are others with date, page number, etc.

I cannot simply write over them and I can\'t find any other way to edit them. Can anyone help?

Much appreciated.

Alan

Einstellvorrichtung des Löschstromes - Montageanleitung
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...Word document? Jun 1, 2002

Hi Alan,

I assume you\'re referring to field functions in a Word document.

AFAIK there\'s no easy way to translate them; in fact, you would need to know which Word version is used by the target audience.

Some fields are probably recognised automatically by Word - some others aren\'t. To give you an example, I regularly run into trouble with a field that is cross-referenced to \'Heading 1\'. Although the German version of word automatically conv
... See more
Hi Alan,

I assume you\'re referring to field functions in a Word document.

AFAIK there\'s no easy way to translate them; in fact, you would need to know which Word version is used by the target audience.

Some fields are probably recognised automatically by Word - some others aren\'t. To give you an example, I regularly run into trouble with a field that is cross-referenced to \'Heading 1\'. Although the German version of word automatically converts a \'Heading 1\' format into \'Überschrift 1\', the field function does not recognise that and requires manual changing. To do this, of course, you need to know exactly which field names etc. Word is using in the target version.

Sorry I can\'t be of any more help...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If it is a Word document.... Jun 2, 2002

you can select the fields and copy them into another document, where it should be easy to translate them. The problem with fields is, that the can be updatet by pressing F9 and then any changes within the field get lost.

To copy a field as a text and not a field you need to place the cursor between the first and the second character of the field-text and then scroll down to the end of the field and mark the second last character in the field. If you selcet the whole field it
... See more
you can select the fields and copy them into another document, where it should be easy to translate them. The problem with fields is, that the can be updatet by pressing F9 and then any changes within the field get lost.

To copy a field as a text and not a field you need to place the cursor between the first and the second character of the field-text and then scroll down to the end of the field and mark the second last character in the field. If you selcet the whole field it will be copied as a field - this is no help. But selecting the text between the first and the last character in the field allows you to copy only the text and paste it into another document, where you can translate this text ie. with TRADOS.

If these are drop-down fields or something likely, then you must go to the definition of the field. Right clicking on the field allows you to switch between field-function-view and normal-view. In field-function-view you can see how the field-functions are and where do they get their data from.

HTH

Jerzy
Collapse

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 2, 2002

Ralf and Jerzy. I think I\'ll just get in touch with the client tomorrow and ask what I should do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Feldfunktionen\"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »