How to localize .cfm and Homesite+ file types
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 23:08
English to German
+ ...
Apr 22, 2005

Hi I am currently facing this trouble, it is rather a large website, comprising FrameMaker files (well converted into mif etc., processed in Trados) the second part is larger and tricky, this comprises of cod fusion, Macromedia homesite + file types. I am facing trouble in processing these with Trados 6.5. Does any of you have a clue or a helping hint. I shall be most obliged for all the help
Best Regards,
Brandis

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
HTML Apr 25, 2005

Hello.

CFML files should be similar to HTML except for additional tags that are proprietary to CF.

What problems are you having?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.cfm or .php and Trados Apr 25, 2005

Hi Thank you for wanting to help me. I have a website with about 300 pages and over 310000 words, a third of these are in .cfm and about 20% in .php form, there are also a few javascript pages. Now which CAT tool would one use to process all files.The difficulty is the outsourcer wants a complete site to be localized including everything. I have tried with Trados 6.5.5. but it does´t take .cfm or .php type files. Help!!!
Brandis

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
file renaming Apr 26, 2005

Try adding a .html at the end of the file. This might help.

If it works, you'll have to rename all files. There are batch renaming programmes out there.

On the other hand .cfm and .php are dynamic languages and it is very possible that the files you see are produced out of a database. If it's the case, the customer should export this content into Excel or txt for easy processing.

My 2 cents

[Edited at 2005-04-26 04:20]

xtremec0der
xtremec0der
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Most effective way is to go into DOS, and use the RENAME *.CFM *.HTML command May 3, 2005

You don't need a "batch re-naming" program. Make a copy of the site (to avoid screwing it up). Now find the folders of files you're looking for in the copy of the site.

Then go into DOS. Now if you don't know how to use DOS, then ummmm... Learn DOS. (joke)

In windows XP you can type CMD in the RUN box to get to dos.

Go into that directory and type.

rename *.cfm *.html

It will rename all those CFM files in an instant to HTML an
... See more
You don't need a "batch re-naming" program. Make a copy of the site (to avoid screwing it up). Now find the folders of files you're looking for in the copy of the site.

Then go into DOS. Now if you don't know how to use DOS, then ummmm... Learn DOS. (joke)

In windows XP you can type CMD in the RUN box to get to dos.

Go into that directory and type.

rename *.cfm *.html

It will rename all those CFM files in an instant to HTML and the DOS screen will show you each file being renamed (although this will go by very fast).

There are ways to do this in windows directly. But I don't know.

Coldfusion and HTML are pretty much the same format, they're both HTML encoding pages, except ColdFusion has special tags that a ColdFusion server processes. Otherwise, they're the same and will open up just as easily as HTML so need to worry.

Michael Bastin wrote:

Try adding a .html at the end of the file. This might help.

If it works, you'll have to rename all files. There are batch renaming programmes out there.

On the other hand .cfm and .php are dynamic languages and it is very possible that the files you see are produced out of a database. If it's the case, the customer should export this content into Excel or txt for easy processing.

My 2 cents

[Edited at 2005-04-26 04:20]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for the help May 3, 2005

Hi! I found the answer already and 20% the project is already finished. I just remirrored the whole site, to run on my local comp. What I get is the client version of the site, since the content is displayed to the client, only that part is interesting. Here even the .cfm (client sided are called the .html) are within. Once again, Thank you all
Regards,
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to localize .cfm and Homesite+ file types

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »