useful hints to improve my search technique on the web
Thread poster: stromfi
stromfi
English
May 4, 2005

I've just finished and sent off a translation, which, by the way, was my first ever. While I worked on the document, I did ask for some help from Kudoz. I got great answers in no time, which I was really grateful for. I was very impressed that some people even gave me a link or two, to show me how the given word is used/found in documents written in English. How could I improve my search technique to get to the right webpages myself? I really felt like an absolute idiot when I got a remark saying that there were "houndreds of thousands of webpages" on a word I wasn't sure how to translate. Well, I got the message and now I'd like to ask any of you if you had some good tips.

Direct link Reply with quote

Patrick Yancey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:36
Member (2005)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Googling May 4, 2005

Well stromfi, I don't know what you know already but here are a couple of my favorite techniques:

- Search for a bilingual website: type in the term or phrase in hte google bar (put phrases in quotation marks ("xxx") so that it doesn't search for each word separately), then leave a space and type in "english" in the google bar as well. Now click on search (or hit return). Hopefully this will find you a website with the source word on it that has an "english" option. Use CRTL-F to find the source word in the website, or select cached viewing.

- If you suspect you know part of the term or phrase, then do type in the source term/phrase, leave a space, and then type in the part that you think you know. For instance, I might type in ["vávula de escape" valve] and hit search. This will find a website with the text "vávula de escape (exhaust valve)".

The images option in google is also sometimes useful for seeing what the source text is talking about.

Hope those were helpful!

-Quine

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
see how-tos May 4, 2005

http://www.proz.com/howto

Hi Stromfi

Have a look at a couple of articles here on web searching, to start you off.

However, I never learnt as much about searching as the during the few months I got 'addicted' to answering ProZ questions in my early days using the site.

Try answering questions, and see how other people answer questions and win points.... follow up their links, etc, to see what's out there.

As for searching:

Search your source language sites first of all, if you don't know what a word means (you might even discover that it doesn't exist!)

This will give you clues to meaning. It might also inspire you with other key words to enter with your term. And you start building a mental picture of what you are looking for.

If you have a couple of possible translations, enter them with key words from your text, and assess the possible 'rightness' of each.

Best of luck:-)

Ciprian Dumea  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
a link which might help May 4, 2005

Hello. You might try the following link - one of the best I know:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/FindInfo.html

Good luck !
Ciprian.

PS. The best way to learn is, of course, to read tutorials and then practice, practice, practice.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Google May 4, 2005

This could help you:

Google - Basics of Search, Advanced Search

stromfi
English
TOPIC STARTER
You are a GREAT bunch! May 5, 2005

Thanks a lot for all your awsome tips and hints. I will follow up on each and every one of them. As a matter of fact, I will do it right now. Bye!!!

BlueTalis
English to German
+ ...
Mental picture May 10, 2005

It might also inspire you with other key words to enter with your term. And you start building a mental picture of what you are looking for.

I think that is most important: That you "see and feel" what the term really means. Because that will make it much more easy for you to find the correct translation: If you "see" the concept of the original and it agrees with the concept you "see" when you read the translated term in a googled "original" context - then you have the right translation.

Do you see what I mean? Or have I failed in making my mental picture visible?
Hope not!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

useful hints to improve my search technique on the web

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search