https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/324112-translating_from_another_translation.html

Translating from ANOTHER translation
Thread poster: Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn
Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn
Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 30, 2018

I am translating a Birth Certificate from English to Spanish, BUT, the English certificate is a Certified Translation from the original in Croatian.

The certificate itself includes the title 'Certified Translation from Croatian', and also the English translator's Certificate of Translation Accuracy, for the Croatian to English translation at the bottom of the certificate.

>> Do I have to include/keep all that as part of my own translation from English to Spanish? I'm th
... See more
I am translating a Birth Certificate from English to Spanish, BUT, the English certificate is a Certified Translation from the original in Croatian.

The certificate itself includes the title 'Certified Translation from Croatian', and also the English translator's Certificate of Translation Accuracy, for the Croatian to English translation at the bottom of the certificate.

>> Do I have to include/keep all that as part of my own translation from English to Spanish? I'm thinking that it will be very confusing for anyone reading the certificate in Spanish.

— I'm inclined to not include it, with an 'Important Notes' at the bottom of my translation, explaining the situation.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Common procedure for sworn translations Apr 2, 2018

This is most likely to occur in either Brazil or Spain, the two leading countries in demanding sworn translations done by their own respectively examined, passed, and appointed sworn translators, for any official or legal purposes.

I wouldn't know about Spain, however I am a sworn translator licensed for English in Brazil. Our sworn translators here - less than 4,000 in the whole coun
... See more
This is most likely to occur in either Brazil or Spain, the two leading countries in demanding sworn translations done by their own respectively examined, passed, and appointed sworn translators, for any official or legal purposes.

I wouldn't know about Spain, however I am a sworn translator licensed for English in Brazil. Our sworn translators here - less than 4,000 in the whole country - cover only 22 languages (listed at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/quick-reference-languages-glossary.html ).

The local procedure, when a sworn translation from another language is required is, once having the document, to find a suitable translator, and get him/her approved and appointed ad-hoc to translate that document by the supervising agency. In the Sao Paulo state, where I am, the approval process takes three weeks.

Turkish is one language we don't have sworn translators for. Once a company needed a Turkish document delivered to a ministry in Brasilia within 30 days (otherwise a ship on its way here would be sent back with its cargo). We could not afford to wait those three weeks. So I suggested they got it officially translated into English in Turkey, in whatever way they do it there. Then they should get a Brazilian consular legalization on that translation (this took place before Brazil joined the Hague Convention of 1961, the Apostille), and send it to me via the fastest courier they could get. I did a sworn translation from that official Turkish translation into English and, to the best of my knowledge, this worked all right.

IMHO you should translate everything that is in that translation. You are not empowered to decide what's relevant, and what is not. If you think it will be confusing, perhaps you could use a different type font to indicate what the previous translator stated that was in the original document, in a language you supposedly cannot understand.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating from ANOTHER translation

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »