Thread poster: Jessicagao

Jessicagao
Australia
Local time: 23:14
English to Chinese

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

May 1

A professional translator should take different aspects and achieve double meaning in translation to include multiple features the original words trying to express. I found it’s interesting and creative when people translate English to Chinese. I feel like to share some translation I saw recently for some movie name and lines.

Same words can be translated into multiple Chinese words. Not just one is more suitable in certain scenario, they are actually all suitable. Just when it can be translated into different words though pretty much same meaning, it will add humour or extra meaning to it rather than simply repeating it with same word!

Also translators for movie subtitles normally will use slang or funny descriptions to make movie vividly translated and retain the humour. For example, “you are 100% gay” was translated as “你真是弯成蚊香” meaning you are certainly not straight like circled incense.

The Album named “TV WATCH TV” was translated to 对视
对视 means watch into each other
视 means watch as a verb, eyes as a noun. But what makes it interesting is that it also stands for TV when it is combined with “electricity”- 电 as 电视
thus the translation - 对视 include both surface meaning and described the subjects”TV”

It’s the same for the famous book “ Gone with wind”, it is translated to one single word” 飘”, it is a verb describing the status of unstable in a chaos period, the word itself has included the wind. What a clever translation!

I’d love to share more in our forum. And welcome everyone can contribute more about the excellent translations here:) we can also discuss how to translate some English if you have questions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Double meaning translation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search