Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:52
English to German
+ ...
May 15, 2018

Dear Proz community,

I am a freelance translator and would like to get more knowledge about the methods of translation, to improve my style (En>De). Does anyone know a good book for this language pair or an online course which is a good way to improve one's translation skills?

There is the online course programme from AKAD Kolleg Stuttgart, so I am thinking about that one. But it would be nice to have the focus on Marketing translations.

Also, if anyone f
... See more
Dear Proz community,

I am a freelance translator and would like to get more knowledge about the methods of translation, to improve my style (En>De). Does anyone know a good book for this language pair or an online course which is a good way to improve one's translation skills?

There is the online course programme from AKAD Kolleg Stuttgart, so I am thinking about that one. But it would be nice to have the focus on Marketing translations.

Also, if anyone from the community is willing to do some online tutoring with me (paid of course), let me know.
I basically need good feedback on my marketing translations and a method how to improve my style to make it sound more "marketing"-like.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Teresa
Collapse

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
English to German
Book & workshop May 15, 2018

Hi Teresa,

It's not a book on marketing translation as such, but I found Wolf Friedrich's "Technik des Übersetzens" extremely helpful in producing more idiomatic translations. I also attended three BDÜ workshops ("Typisch Englisch - typisch Deutsch"), which were basically built on his insights. They're not available as an online version, as far as I'm aware, but the trips were definitely worth it for me! I still look at the handouts from those workshops whenever I need some inspir
... See more
Hi Teresa,

It's not a book on marketing translation as such, but I found Wolf Friedrich's "Technik des Übersetzens" extremely helpful in producing more idiomatic translations. I also attended three BDÜ workshops ("Typisch Englisch - typisch Deutsch"), which were basically built on his insights. They're not available as an online version, as far as I'm aware, but the trips were definitely worth it for me! I still look at the handouts from those workshops whenever I need some inspiration to "polish up" my translations.
Collapse

Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Nina May 16, 2018

Hi Nina,
thank you very much for this. I have ordered the book right away.

Ah, I will check the BDÜ for this.
Also there is the Euro Akademie in Berlin offering the translation, interpretation training which could be done additionally to working as it is on the weekend. Yet it is very expensive...

Have a great day,
best
Teresa

Nina Esser wrote:

Hi Teresa,

It's not a book on marketing translation as such, but I found Wolf Friedrich's "Technik des Übersetzens" extremely helpful in producing more idiomatic translations. I also attended three BDÜ workshops ("Typisch Englisch - typisch Deutsch"), which were basically built on his insights. They're not available as an online version, as far as I'm aware, but the trips were definitely worth it for me! I still look at the handouts from those workshops whenever I need some inspiration to "polish up" my translations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Books on marketing translation theory/methods En>Ger

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »