Thread poster: Soňa Tůmová de Núñez
Soňa Tůmová de Núñez
Soňa Tůmová de Núñez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:02
Czech to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 3, 2018

Is it necessary to transcript manually each and every number of the listings like bank accounts (number of transaction) or study certificates with codes of different subjects and so on? Or is it possible to refer to the original ("see ...")?

Kang Seok Lee
Kang Seok Lee
South Korea
Local time: 02:02
Member (2018)
English to Korean
+ ...
It depends on the conditions Oct 3, 2018

Hi Sona
I think it depends on the conditions of translation/transcription.
All numerical data mostly does not need manual transcription because the reader of the target language(translated) should not have any difficulty in understanding the data. But if there is any special request like do not show the numerical data in the translated document, you need to make some manual transcription.
If no, referring to the original document is usually of no issue, I think.

Ch
... See more
Hi Sona
I think it depends on the conditions of translation/transcription.
All numerical data mostly does not need manual transcription because the reader of the target language(translated) should not have any difficulty in understanding the data. But if there is any special request like do not show the numerical data in the translated document, you need to make some manual transcription.
If no, referring to the original document is usually of no issue, I think.

Cheers!
KS(Stefano) Lee
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:02
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
deliver a finished document Oct 3, 2018

I would not usually (there may be exceptions although I haven't met any yet) refer to the original, but try to deliver a finished document. If I ordered a professional translation, I would not expect to have to go back to the original file to see the numbers/codes.

If you use a CAT tool, this should not be an issue - either the numbers get transferred automatically or you can do so with a minimal amount of work, such as using a shortcut key to copy the source into the target segment
... See more
I would not usually (there may be exceptions although I haven't met any yet) refer to the original, but try to deliver a finished document. If I ordered a professional translation, I would not expect to have to go back to the original file to see the numbers/codes.

If you use a CAT tool, this should not be an issue - either the numbers get transferred automatically or you can do so with a minimal amount of work, such as using a shortcut key to copy the source into the target segment.

If you don't use a CAT tool, would it be easier in this type of text to work in the original document and save it under a different name ("Originalname_CZ" or so), so you don't have to transfer/copy&paste anything?

Hope this helps - good luck!
Collapse

Robert Forstag

Soňa Tůmová de Núñez
Soňa Tůmová de Núñez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:02
Czech to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If PDF documents Oct 3, 2018

I mean when you work with PDF scanned documents. OCR doesn´t work well with many of them, so you have to transcript pages full of long number combinations that nobody really reads after the translation is made.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes but... Oct 4, 2018

As Marjolein, points out, you would normally be expected to translate or transcribe everything that appears in the original. This includes letterhead and footer text, handwritten notes or initials added to a typed text and - yes - strings of numbers appearing at the bottom of the page. This is most especially true of any translation likely to be presented as evidence in a court of law.

But you can ask the client at the time of assignment if you can omit material like this (wh
... See more
As Marjolein, points out, you would normally be expected to translate or transcribe everything that appears in the original. This includes letterhead and footer text, handwritten notes or initials added to a typed text and - yes - strings of numbers appearing at the bottom of the page. This is most especially true of any translation likely to be presented as evidence in a court of law.

But you can ask the client at the time of assignment if you can omit material like this (which is, as you indicate, extraneous to the translation, and which takes you extra time to deal with).

If you are told that you must include such stuff, you can cut and paste the images of bar codes, long numbers, company contact info in footers, etc. from the pdf doc into your translation, and this will save you some time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription of numbers and codes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »