https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/34677-word_counting_in_excel_files.html

Word counting in Excel files
Thread poster: Gitte Gifford
Gitte Gifford
Gitte Gifford
Local time: 01:37
English to Danish
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 14, 2005

Dear all,

Would any of you please explain me how a total word count is carried out in Excel files?

Thanks a lot!

BR
Gitte Hoejland

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
Trados or copy text to Word Jul 14, 2005

You can run a Trados analysis (might take a few minutes, depending on file size) or you can copy the entire text to Word.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Counting Excel words Jul 14, 2005

I just had this issue the other day:
http://www.proz.com/topic/34552

I did not know that Trados could analyze Excel tables. I could not find a way for WordFast to do it. I ended up copying and pasting everything into Word, then analyzing my new file.

This is not an ideal way of doing it because it is all too easy to miss highlighting data or skip over sheets 2, 3 and 4 by
... See more

I did not know that Trados could analyze Excel tables. I could not find a way for WordFast to do it. I ended up copying and pasting everything into Word, then analyzing my new file.

This is not an ideal way of doing it because it is all too easy to miss highlighting data or skip over sheets 2, 3 and 4 by forgetting to click their tabs.

I'm still looking for a 3-click solution for analyzing 25 Excel files.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
No need to copy-paste Jul 15, 2005

Start the Word program, and open the Excel file from within that program, open it as a Word file, that is. Then, Tools -> Word Count OR WordFast -> Analyse!

Edward Potter wrote:

This is not an ideal way of doing it because it is all too easy to miss highlighting data or skip over sheets 2, 3 and 4 by forgetting to click their tabs.

[Edited at 2005-07-15 01:12]

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 17:37
English
What version of Word? Jul 18, 2005

Xola wrote:

Start the Word program, and open the Excel file from within that program, open it as a Word file, that is. Then, Tools -> Word Count OR WordFast -> Analyse!

Which version of Microsoft Word are you doing that with? And are you opening .XLS files (Excel's format) or CSV files (generic spreadsheet interchange format)

I can open an Excel file from within Word, but using Office 2003 I get gibberish.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:37
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Download Practicount Jul 18, 2005

from
http://www.practiline.com/
It will be fully functional for 15 days.
And if you like it, you can buy it after. I use Practicount for last few years and am fully satisfied.

Uldis

Edward Potter wrote:

Erick Forero
Erick Forero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:37
English to Spanish
Word 2003 Jul 19, 2005

Hi all,

I tried doing that in Word 2003 but could not get the right format to make the Excel file "readable" in Word. Xola, could you please send further explanation?

Thanks a lot!

Erick

Xola wrote:

Edward Potter wrote:

[Edited at 2005-07-15 01:12]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Office 2000 Jul 20, 2005

Hi all,

I use Office 2000, so it should work even better with Office 2003. When you click open on an Excel file in Word, first an encoding window is shown where you make your choice. Then, in the beginning of the Excel file you might have some gibberish codes, small squares, signs etc., all over the place, just clean pass them, and further down starts your document. I work into Turkish, by the way, and two characters -peculiar to our alphabet- always display in a corrupted way, so
... See more
Hi all,

I use Office 2000, so it should work even better with Office 2003. When you click open on an Excel file in Word, first an encoding window is shown where you make your choice. Then, in the beginning of the Excel file you might have some gibberish codes, small squares, signs etc., all over the place, just clean pass them, and further down starts your document. I work into Turkish, by the way, and two characters -peculiar to our alphabet- always display in a corrupted way, so I correct them with Ctrl+H and proceed with my work. That doesn't take me more than a few minutes to clear, anyway, and since I never feel at home with xls format, I much prefer to give a few minutes to be able to work on Word, even without any CAT.

Hope this would be of help.

Regards

ErickFG wrote:

Hi all,

I tried doing that in Word 2003 but could not get the right format to make the Excel file "readable" in Word. Xola, could you please send further explanation?

Thanks a lot!

Erick
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Use TextCount Jul 21, 2005

There is a very comfortable and cheap software available from
(free test edition avaialable!). It counts Word 2000+, Excel 2000+ etc.

Rolf

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Use TextCount Jul 22, 2005

See www.textcount.de

Regards
Rolf Kern

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word counting in Excel files

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »