Do you still compile glossaries for own use?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2005

Rather than making a glossary I use the concordance search in Wordfast (Trados has the same feature, maybe called different). Instead of one word I can highlight a group of words and see if I have translated this chunk earlier. And when I did and for whom.

So I wonder if there is still any incentive for compiling glossaries, except for exchange with customers/colleagues? Maybe I'm missing something.
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:32
German to English
Couldn't live without them Aug 29, 2005

[quote]Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something.

Heinrich,

Maybe you are missing something, maybe I am. In a way, really, we're all missing something, somewhere. Enough philosophy! I still regularly create glossaries for my very own use. Just over the weekend I've been working on my newest glossary, plumbing and central heating. I'm doing quite well, but a lot of it comes easily because of my previous lives (I'm a qualified central heating engineer). And my favourite glossary, geology/geotechnical/environmental/civil engineering is being constantly updated. One day I'll differentiate that a little more, too.

Regards

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
I use it as a self-teaching tool Aug 29, 2005

After leaving full-time employment in the medical translation field, I found myself in need of expanding into other fields. The oil and gas field was the first I had to deal with. Then came the legal and military fields, which simply overwhelmed me in the beginning. As a way of coping, I started compiling short cheat sheets to help my senescent brain get things under control. Over time, these cheat sheets developed into large files that I continue to edit and polish, as though I was going to publish them. There is no way I can describe how much I have learned by engaging in this process.

I do not create alphabetical lists. They would be useless for my purpose. Instead, I create topic-specific lists. For instance, in the military field, I have a list for ranks, another for hierarchy of units by size, from army down ot firing squad, etc. In the legal field I have a list of words used for law practitioners, another for types of court by jurisdiction, and so on. It is more like a thesaurus than a dictionary.

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I still keep updating my glossaries Aug 29, 2005

I also use the concordance feature in Trados, but since I use several different TMs, sometimes it's easier to find things in my glossary. Also, I usually document in my glossary how I arrived at the translation (links to websites, etc.), which comes in pretty handy sometimes (e.g., for answering Kudoz questions, as backup in case the translation is questioned, etc.). Any terms that take me more than a couple minutes to track down go into my glossary.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Initial glossary compiling saves research time Aug 29, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Rather than making a glossary I use the concordance search in Wordfast (Trados has the same feature, maybe called different). Instead of one word I can highlight a group of words and see if I have translated this chunk earlier. And when I did and for whom.

Sure, but this method of yours only works for words that have been translated before. I also use it instead of compiling a glossary that spans many projects.

However, for large or complex jobs I do compile a glossary for that project. By extracting all unknown terms or phrases, I can do research on all of them in one go. This saves some time during the translation.

Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do, and it is very useful. Aug 29, 2005

I have a Word document called "My Own Glossary" that I update on a daily basis.

It is a simple alphabetically-arranged list in two columns, where I log the source term and the suitable translation whenever the latter is not found in any dictionary or is very hard to come by.

Next to the translation, I indicate the context and the country where the term was used.

Most of the translation I do is from Spanish to English, and the biggest challenge by far is the non-standard terms or non-standard local uses of common terms that plague documents from Latin America, so this glossary is very useful for me.

I also use it to compile local accronyms and abbreviations from different countries in Latin America for which a suitable translation is very difficult to find.

[Edited at 2005-08-30 03:16]

Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
Essential for AutoAssemble Aug 29, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

So I wonder if there is still any incentive for compiling glossaries, except for exchange with customers/colleagues? Maybe I'm missing something.
Regards
Heinrich

I use DejaVu and add terms "on the Fly" all the time to my term databases. This improves my quality and consistency and speeds up my work.

Klas

Pablo Roufogalis
Colombia
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
Inspiration v. formality Aug 30, 2005

In many cases I get too many hits in Concordance. While I use it a lot for its' intended purpose, which is coherency, I also get inspiration from previous translations.

I use the termbase mostly for one to one translations, with little room for changes or derivatives.

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Several glossaries Aug 30, 2005

I'm afraid I still don't use CAT tools, so have no idea about concordance and its usefulness. Instead I have compiled several glossaries in Word and I include both difficult-to-find terms and ones that have come from one of my dictionaries. It's much faster to look it up in the list, where I may have made some notes about which term to choose in certain contexts, than to search through many dictionaries and then find they disagree or give quite a few options with no indication of their usage (this is especially true of civil engineering / architecture terminology). These lists have taken years to compile, but are now easy to update and I don't know where I'd be without them.

[Edited at 2005-08-30 08:26]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you still compile glossaries for own use?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search