Is there a way to extract "untranslated segments" from a pretranslated .doc?
Thread poster: Éric Cléach

Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:51
Member (2005)
English to French
Sep 16, 2005

Hi all,

I just started working on a fairly large project: a financial .doc file that contains over 80.000 words, only 6.000 of which are new words and 15.000 are fuzzy matches.
As I am not paid to check/edit the 100% matches, I would like to be able to extract all the non-100% matches in another file, so that when I do my final proofreading and spellchecking, I only get the segments that *I* have translated.
I have tried to do this manually (i.e. by pretranslating the file with Trados, and pasting all the untranslated segments in a new file), but as the non-100% segments are spread over the 300 pages, this is simply too time-consuming (though not as much as proofreading/spellchecking the whole file).

Any idea?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You can always skip them Sep 16, 2005

When you're translating a segment, instead of closing it with "Set/Close Next Open/Get" [Alt + Num+], close it with "Set Close Next no 100% Open/Get" [Alt + Ctrl + Num+].

It will take you to the next segment that is not a 100%. I did that last weekend for a document that had a lot of 100% matches, and it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Marie-Claude

France
Member (2005)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly Sep 16, 2005

Thanks for your answer, but this is not what I meant.

The problem is not with translation, but with proofreading/spellchecking: once the whole file has been translated (i.e. pretranslated 100% segments + other segments translated manually), I would have to proofread/spellcheck all the segments, even those that were in the TM...

I would like to be able to extract **only** the non-100% segments to proofread and spellcheck **only** those I have translated.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Oops, sorry! Sep 16, 2005

I guess I didn't read your message properly.

The thing I'm thinking about is using different colors for the "levels" of matches. But I don't know any way of extracting the non-100% text only...

Marie-Claude

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use colors and delete Sep 16, 2005

You can pretranslate a working copy of the document with all 100% matches marked in green, for example, and then delete them by searching for a green text and replacing it with an empty string.

France
Member (2005)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Works a treat! Sep 16, 2005

Great!

This is exactly what I needed. I hadn't thought about using the colors, but actually, this is probably the easiest way.

Many many thanks!

[Edited at 2005-09-16 15:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to extract "untranslated segments" from a pretranslated .doc?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search