political correctness with official languages /Ireland & Switzerland
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2005

I have a very complex text that refers to a number of countries and certain policies. I'm trying to minimise clutter in teh form of glosses of institutions , laws etc

It's in CAT and I'm translating to EN

I may need to consult ProZ members again for other countries, but for the moment:

Ireland
The author has provided the EN and Irish names of public bodies. Should I exclude the name in Irish, or would it be very insensitive???

Switzerland
I know SWitz has 3 official languages, but it's obviiously not possibole to provide all the names in 3 languages (the author mostly provides them in DE, but FR in fact would be more transparet, especially to an EN auduince). Is there any one language of teh 3 used in Switz that might be considered more 'official' than the others?

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:14
Ireland Oct 19, 2005

How about putting in the Irish term in brackets, say Department X (An Roinn X)or (also referred to as An Roinn X in Ireland), but not repeat it throughout (if this applies to your text). I don't think you'd be offending anyone except the most rabid kind of Gaelgóir if you dropped a few of them. As you know yourself we hardly ever refer to the Irish names, unless it is the "primary" name, like "An Bord Bia" or "Bord Fáilte".

Just my 2c.

Orla

[Edited at 2005-10-19 23:29]

Switzerland Oct 20, 2005

Although there are substantially more German-speakers in Switzerland (63.7% according to Wikopedia, with 20.4% French and 6.5% Italian) there is no "main-language". In my opionion you can easily leave the Italian out.
As to leaving out the German, why not, you have to take into consideration your target audience, which is I suppose English speaking and as you said better able to abstract from French than German. There are, to my knowledge no rabid group of Swiss-Germans who are trying to protect the purity of the German language, who could get upset. I live in in the German-speaking part of Bern, and these folks are pragmatic above all.

Best wishes
Linda

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ireland Oct 20, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

How about putting in the Irish term in brackets, say Department X (An Roinn X)or (also referred to as An Roinn X in Ireland), but not repeat it throughout (if this applies to your text). I don't think you'd be offending anyone except the most rabid kind of Gaelgóir if you dropped a few of them. As you know yourself we hardly ever refer to the Irish names, unless it is the "primary" name, like "An Bord Bia" or "Bord Fáilte".

Just my 2c.

Orla

[Edited at 2005-10-19 23:29]

The item is only mentioned ONCE, I want to exclude the Irish, as the text is already full of brackets. So I will exclude it, I just want to be sure that it woudl be considered a reasonable thing to do:-)

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:14
French to Portuguese
+ ...
In Switzerland Oct 20, 2005

There is no language more official than other. And by the way, there are 4 official languages, the 4th language being the Romanche.

Hope it helps! :0)

Switzerland Oct 21, 2005

Dear Ivana,

Rheto-Romansch is not an "official language" of Switzerland (Amtssprache) it is a "national language" (Nationalsprache) which means that federal laws are not required to be translated into R-R, nor is packaging on food and medicine in R-R. There are aprox. 50,000 speakers who speak 5 variants of R-R in Switzerland.

Best regards
Linda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

political correctness with official languages /Ireland & Switzerland

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search