illegible handwriting on a certificate
Thread poster: French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
French to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2005

I am translating an "Attestation de Reussite" (certificate of achievement) from a French university.

Beneath the heading "Attestation de Reussite" there is a code, and beside this code something is handwritten, but I can't make it out (looks vaguely like Ang).

I've always been taught to reproduce *everthing* when translating diplomas, certificates, etc., so I don't feel comfortable leaving this out. Is there a procedure to follow when something is illegible (like putting 'sic'or something to that effect?)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:18
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Maybe a native speaker could help? Nov 10, 2005

I am sometimes asked to translate something from Russian handwriting which I can't decipher, and I have a long-standing arrangement with a native Russian speaker who is much better at deciphering Russian handwriting than I am, to help me with this, in return for which I proofread his English when necessary (with suitable payment arrangements in each case).

[Edited at 2005-11-10 11:20]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
When all else fails, I simply write (illegible) Nov 10, 2005

Like Jack, I try asking - native speakers, the client, or checking the website of the institution if there is one. I have occasionally found signatures of university lecturers and supervisers or other clues that way. (Amazing how you can read things when you already know what they say...)

If I don't have time for a lot of research I write (illegible) or (illegible handwritten comment) or some such remark in italics or a different font from the rest of the text.

When delivering the translation I attach a short, informal Translator's note, usually in a separate file, explaining the problem, unless I am quite sure I have found the right answer.

It may turn out that these scribbles are unimportant, but I do mark in one way or another that I have seen them.

Don't lose a lot of sleep over it - it is the client's responsibility to deliver a text that can be read!

Paula Gayol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Agree with Christine Nov 10, 2005

When things are not clear enough I write [illegible text] or [illegible handwriting] or [illegible date] or [illegible signature]. This usually happens in faxes or in a copy of a copy of a copy

French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Nov 10, 2005

both for your help. I think you're right in that these scribbles really aren't that important, but I'm going to follow your advice and mark (illegible) to show that it was not simply overlooked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

illegible handwriting on a certificate

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search