Names of seminars, lectures etc...
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 15:53
French to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

Style guides I've found for other languages say you should give the title of lectures in the language they will be given in. They then say that a translation may be added in square brackets (and with quotes). I can't find any similar advice in an English style guide though. Do you think the same technique is valid for English?

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
italics and brackets Nov 30, 2005

Hi Timothy,

I've had a quick look in the EC style guide and can't find anything there. I'd put the title in italics and then translate in brackets afterwards. I don't see the need for either square brackets or quotes.

I'd also only translate the title if necessary. For example, if the title of the lecture is a heading and the subject matter is explained below in the bulk of the text, I'd be inclined to leave it, as it would look cumbersome as part of a title.
... See more
Hi Timothy,

I've had a quick look in the EC style guide and can't find anything there. I'd put the title in italics and then translate in brackets afterwards. I don't see the need for either square brackets or quotes.

I'd also only translate the title if necessary. For example, if the title of the lecture is a heading and the subject matter is explained below in the bulk of the text, I'd be inclined to leave it, as it would look cumbersome as part of a title.

HTH,

Ruth
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Names of seminars, lectures etc...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »