Using Wordfast for English to English Revisions
Thread poster: Colin Bowles

Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2005

Would appreciate comments/ suggestions re using Wordfast when revising English documents. I regularly receive academic papers writtin in English for revision of the English. At present I use Word with the Track Changes enabled but a lot of papers have chunks (even whole paragraphs) from papers previously submitted to me for revision. I suppose using Wordfast for this would bring this up automatically from the translation memory (as it does when I use WF for translations). Does anybody out there use Wordfast in this way for EN-->EN revisions.

Thanks in advance.

Colin.

Direct link Reply with quote

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:28
Member (2002)
German to English
Features compatible with Track Changes... Dec 9, 2005

Colin Bowles wrote:

Would appreciate comments/ suggestions re using Wordfast when revising English documents.

Wordfast's normal mode of TM lookup isn't compatible with Track Changes, so I haven't tried anything along those lines, as I'm normally required to track changes too. Having said that, I find certain Wordfast functions really useful when revising:

- Dictionary 1 lookup: Ctrl+Alt+D (set to an electronic dictionary)
- Dictionary 2 lookup: Ctrl+Alt+F (set to google in my case)
- Reference search: Ctrl+Alt+N (google-like search in one or several reference folders)

These don't conflict with Track Changes, and even seem to work with the Wordfast toolbar closed (although that could be a bug rather than a feature, depending on your setup...)

So if all the legacy material is in a reference folder, duly set up in the Terminology/Reference tab, Reference Search certainly helps with locating familiar-sounding passages but won't transfer them into the document automatically.

I've heard there are tools that can find very similar passages of text - I've just never had the problem on a large enough scale to warrant looking into it.

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Focussing on a window Dec 11, 2005

Deborah,

I have tried using the Ctrl+Alt+D (and F) feature in WF and it works fine. Thank you very much. However, I am having problems with one particular online dictionary I use (www.dorlands.com/wsearch.jsp) as I can't get the cursor to focus in the search box, even if I use tabs and escapes. I wonder have you had (and got around) this problem?

All the best,

Colin.

Deborah Shannon wrote:

Colin Bowles wrote:

Would appreciate comments/ suggestions re using Wordfast when revising English documents.

Wordfast's normal mode of TM lookup isn't compatible with Track Changes, so I haven't tried anything along those lines, as I'm normally required to track changes too. Having said that, I find certain Wordfast functions really useful when revising:

- Dictionary 1 lookup: Ctrl+Alt+D (set to an electronic dictionary)
- Dictionary 2 lookup: Ctrl+Alt+F (set to google in my case)
- Reference search: Ctrl+Alt+N (google-like search in one or several reference folders)

These don't conflict with Track Changes, and even seem to work with the Wordfast toolbar closed (although that could be a bug rather than a feature, depending on your setup...)

So if all the legacy material is in a reference folder, duly set up in the Terminology/Reference tab, Reference Search certainly helps with locating familiar-sounding passages but won't transfer them into the document automatically.

I've heard there are tools that can find very similar passages of text - I've just never had the problem on a large enough scale to warrant looking into it.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Bypass the search box Dec 12, 2005

Hi Colin,

I couldn't test this because you have to be logged in on the site you mention, but I think you can bypass the search box. Try this string:

www.dorlands.com/wsearch.jsp?searchtype=words&searchterm={SearchWord}{Enter}

[quote]Colin Bowles wrote:

Regards,
Gerard

Deborah,

I have tried using the Ctrl+Alt+D (and F) feature in WF and it works fine. Thank you very much. However, I am having problems with one particular online dictionary I use (www.dorlands.com/wsearch.jsp) as I can't get the cursor to focus in the search box, even if I use tabs and escapes. I wonder have you had (and got around) this problem?

All the best,

Colin.

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Merci, maestro Dec 12, 2005

That's clever, and should fly the term over to the search page at the very least

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 20, 2005

Deborah Shannon wrote:

That's clever, and should fly the term over to the search page at the very least

Thank you all very much,

Colin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Wordfast for English to English Revisions

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search