certifying translations
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2006

I have translated a set of academic documents issued in Spain. The person in Q is qualified to work as a secondary school teacher in Spain, and wants to obtain validation of academic documents so he can teach in Ireland.

I have done all the translation work....So now, teh Q is how precisely do I certify these 7 texts (my studies and professional memberships etc are what qualify me to certify these docs for the Irish Govt.)

I have the following ideas:

I print each text and simply sign each with my signature (and accompany these signed texts with my sworn declaration)

OR

I create a special box with my details in electronic form (name, qualifications etc) on each text and sign there

AND/OR

I create a cert, with all my details, refer to each document by name (e.g. Academic Transcript University of XYZ), make a declaration, sign etc.

Any guidance woulñd be appreciated:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 00:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
On reverse of last page Feb 9, 2006

Just a suggestion, not an absolute "this is the right way"!

The agency where I got my start professionally creates a table with two side-by-side boxes for a certification in each language of the pair. "I, [name], professional translator, [list qualifications], hereby certify that this is a true and correct blah blah blah...." The certification is printed on the reverse of the last page of the translation, and signed in blue (not black!) ink. The entire translation carries a header of "certified translation."

To be absolutely certain that no one makes a change and substitutes a page with the same header, I suppose one could print and sign on the reverse of every page. But I wouldn't do that unless especially requested by the client.

[Edited at 2006-02-09 14:17]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:12
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just my way Feb 9, 2006

I attach a signed declaration to the front of each document.
I have a stamp from my organization stating that I am a certified translator with my membership # etc, that I put at the bottom of each page (I always leave a 1½ inch margin). This seems to be sufficient for most purposes here in Canada.

If I did not have a stamp, I would do as you suggest: create a (small) table that goes at the bottom of each page with 2 columns - one with your name + credentials and the other with your signature and the date.

gad
United States
Local time: 23:12
French to English
I have used a certification page Feb 10, 2006

I would be happy to email you an example if you would like to contact me through my profile. It is actually the standard format for certifying the translation of documents to be presented in certain courts.

Of course, how you choose to approach this is up to you.

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ireland? Feb 10, 2006

Cerifying translations vary from country to country. I don't know, where you are, only that the country she wants to use the document is Ireland.
In the UK you would have to go to a solicitor or notary, and sign a declaration attached to the document, that it is a faithful rendering of the original, etc. and sign every page.
Then they sign and tie the pages together and stamp them. Charges vary a lot, notaries usually ask more, and London is more expensive than elswhere.

If she wants to use it in Ireland, it would be advisable to find out, do they require Irish certification, would Spanish be OK (if you are in Spain for example) or it doesn't matter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

certifying translations

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search