Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
Flemish to English
+ ...
Mar 13, 2006

Nobody never ever makes errors in translation such as:
1 Mistakes against the place of the word in the sentence.
2 Spelling mistakes.
3. Grammatical mistakes.
4. Calque/Loan translation
5. Translation errors.
6. Lexical errors.
7. Stylistic errors
8. Concordance errors...
9. Transposition of inverse meaning.
10. False choice of words.
11. Germanisms, Romanisms, dialectal forms....
12. Translations that do not make sense.
13. Contradictory translation of meanings in the target text..

My question to you is : What other mistakes can be made by translators?

[Edited at 2006-03-13 20:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

telefpro
Local time: 20:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
you are right Mar 13, 2006

If not, PROZ.com. would be irrelevant. It is not so simplistic, otherwise, translation would be a tragi- comedy which is, to some extent.

[Edited at 2006-03-13 20:50]

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:12
German to English
+ ...
14. Blind belief in the dictionary Mar 13, 2006

Otherwise known as "translatorese". A word that is listed in the dictionary but is overused or used out of the right context. For example the noun "offer" when it should be bid, proposal, facilities offered, training courses offered, services offered or similar (blind translation of the German "Angebot").
I'm sure most of you have your favourite examples of this in your language pairs.

telefpro
Local time: 20:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Tower of Babel Mar 14, 2006

I forgot to mention that it is a Tower of Babel . Nobody knows, where the erros and blunders creep in.
Today, we have many sites to help you with your doubts. The tragedy is when you are blissfully oblivious of the dangers. The rates too, at times, are in tandem with the translation you dish out.

[Edited at 2006-03-15 14:15]

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
Even worse... Mar 14, 2006

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Otherwise known as "translatorese". A word that is listed in the dictionary but is overused or used out of the right context. For example the noun "offer" when it should be bid, proposal, facilities offered, training courses offered, services offered or similar (blind translation of the German "Angebot").
I'm sure most of you have your favourite examples of this in your language pairs.

15. Blind belief in Google matches

You know. "The phrase gets 2,000 hits on Google".

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 18:12
English to Russian
Dig Kudoz Mar 14, 2006

Williamson wrote:My question to you is : What other mistakes can be made by translators?

By its nature (the asker chooses the answer) the system is a vault of translation blunders.
Have fun
Alex

gad
United States
French to English
Some people do this on KudoZ Mar 14, 2006

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Some people INSIST that their answer on KudoZ is correct because it's in Termium/GDT/Eurodicautom/a paper dictionary, but the fact is that although a particular translation is found in a source, does not mean that it is regularly USED in the target language.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Babel Tower Mar 14, 2006

telefpro wrote:

I forgot to mention that it is a Babel Tower. Nobody knows, where the erros and blunders freep in.
Today, we have many sites for helping you with your doubts. The tragedy is when you are blissfully oblivious of the dangers. The rates too, at times, are in tandem with the translation you dish out.

---
-In English, "Babel Tower" is not used. "The Tower of Babel" is.
-To freep in ? You mean : to creep in.
---
Question: Is it allowed to point out mistakes in postings/Kudoz so that they can be discussed and that lessons can be learnt from mistakes?
Striving for perfection in translation, I was only looking for feedback from others about possible mistakes you have made in the past and what you have learnt from them?

Nelson López
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Errors or mistakes? Mar 29, 2006

During my training to become a translator, I learned that if something does not affect the translation as a whole, then this is a mistake (a typo, for instance); on the other hand, when the translation is not understood by the target audience because of a major mistake (or series thereof) then it becomes an error.

Another "mistake" I see these days is the acceptance of a word that does not belong to the source language. For example, in Spanish people are using more and more words or phrases like "necesito APLICAR a esa posición" instead of llenar una solicitud or solicitar; "call center" por centro de llamadas y "mall" por centro comercial. Even though this does not lead to misunderstanding, translators need to be aware of these diferences.

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 12:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
A solution Apr 16, 2006

It is important to put translations into your own words.

When you are trying to meet a deadline, it is easy to let your creativity dwindle and use the first word that comes into your head or that spouts out of your Terminology Database. I think that whenever possible, it is important to 1)research the topic 2)do a pre-translation that consists of putting the text into your own shorthand and 3)re-writing the text as if you were writing it yourself in your own language. A comparison to the source text will be in order once you have completed the final product.

If only we translators were not pressed for time!

Reed

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation errors.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search