Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 23:15
English to German
+ ...
Apr 9, 2006

Hello all,

It may sound silly to many, but I am faced with an acute situation. It is like this - about 20 days back I did a translation, the PO said - request translation and agreed timeframe and the price. My invoice said claims within 72 hours are accepted and will be corrected without further costing.

The outsourcer has received a translation and for some time ( more than 72 hours) he was silent and later came back with overall- reworking and change of style. My
... See more
Hello all,

It may sound silly to many, but I am faced with an acute situation. It is like this - about 20 days back I did a translation, the PO said - request translation and agreed timeframe and the price. My invoice said claims within 72 hours are accepted and will be corrected without further costing.

The outsourcer has received a translation and for some time ( more than 72 hours) he was silent and later came back with overall- reworking and change of style. My claims (basing on my experience) are limited to typos, grammatical and the like and no external overall changes ( like style). So I had asked the OS for a style sheet (a list of preferred terminology) which he should have given out in the first place before the translation part took place. The next trouble was that the source is not well formatted (patched) which lead to a few broken tags (trados). Now I am not happy with the above situation and neither the OS. Style or re-working of an already translated document doesn´t fall under the claims category, is ( singled out? adv. ) my opinion. I appreciate all helping hints. Brandis
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:15
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
72 hours Apr 9, 2006

As I see it, after the 72 hours passed, s/he can cry as much s/he wants to. That people are not happy is unfortunate, but it does happen. If it is a really important client, try to reach an agreement. If not, put a flower on the ground to catch the tears.

Yours truly,

Stephen Rifkind

P.S. I had a client who expressed dissatisfaction with my translation 6 months after the fact, probably jusifiably. There was no refund of money. If it takes them that lo
... See more
As I see it, after the 72 hours passed, s/he can cry as much s/he wants to. That people are not happy is unfortunate, but it does happen. If it is a really important client, try to reach an agreement. If not, put a flower on the ground to catch the tears.

Yours truly,

Stephen Rifkind

P.S. I had a client who expressed dissatisfaction with my translation 6 months after the fact, probably jusifiably. There was no refund of money. If it takes them that long to check you, it was not very important.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 23:15
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
72 hours is a way of setting up a time frame Apr 9, 2006

Stephen Rifkind wrote:

Yours truly,

Stephen Rifkind

P.S. I had a client who expressed dissatisfaction with my translation 6 months after the fact, probably jusifiably. There was no refund of money. If it takes them that long to check you, it was not very important.

for such issues, such as 30 days invoice or the similar. In individual cases, I do also 10 days or a 30 days claim period without further charging. Afterall, you / I would have other projects to do aswell and cannot perpetually go on looking back! But that was not my question. Mine pertains more to the defiinition of revision, and someone (in this case my OS) intending to have certain style (style sheet or a list of terms) be incorporated into the translation, would have had to come up with this from the beginning. He actually did some manual corrections and told me I should follow that style. The text was from advertisement area, now imagine what style would best fit ( may be a dozen different ones, and which was is the best) guess. That complicates the whole issue. He did not brag about a wrong translation, instead the style part. I had limited my claims as mentioned above. Now it is a very long document and I am not ready to restyle it. Employing a revision expert with that meagre some I was to get out of that project is out of question, so I had adv. the client to incorporate his styles as pleases or even take a revisio expert or a target content writer, - whether it refits the source is the next problem. What ways clients find to squeeze a translator sometimes ?? This is very troubling issue, hence I turn to the forum to get help on how to go about such things, and what general other practices are being implemented. Knowledgeable adv. is being seeked. Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a document revision adv.?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »