Search within PDF File
Thread poster: Klaus Urban

Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
May 29, 2006

Google hits frequently turn out to be PDF files which can be multipaged documents. Reading through such a document can be quite tiresome or even hopeless.
Is there a functionality to search a term within a PDF file?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what about acrobat reader? May 29, 2006

7.0 has search/find ,,,

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Vito May 29, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

7.0 has search/find ,,,

that´s great!
Klaus

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I use CTRL+F in Acrobat May 29, 2006

Acrobat, just as Office application, has the Ctrl+F shortcut for the search function. I assume you do have Acrobat reader installed (it's free) and as far as I know, all versions have a seach function.

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Even better May 29, 2006

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Foxit Reader: it's free, loads really fast, and performs a fast search by pressing ctrl+F. A must-have for me (I hate how long Acrobat reader takes to load).

Natalia

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:09
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
View as HTML May 29, 2006

It may be even faster to click "View as HTML" instead. Google gives you a lightning fast view of the PDF file in your browser, with its respective search features enabled.
Cheers

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Elvira May 29, 2006

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

Acrobat, just as Office application, has the Ctrl+F shortcut for the search function. I assume you do have Acrobat reader installed (it's free) and as far as I know, all versions have a seach function.

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Natalia May 29, 2006

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Foxit Reader: it's free, loads really fast, and performs a fast search by pressing ctrl+F. A must-have for me (I hate how long Acrobat reader takes to load).

Natalia

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mikhail May 29, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

It may be even faster to click "View as HTML" instead. Google gives you a lightning fast view of the PDF file in your browser, with its respective search features enabled.
Cheers

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Will fail on some PDF files May 29, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Cheers

Both this and the Ctrl+F function for Find-Text in Acrobat Reader only work if the PDF file actually contains text. If the "text" is in fact an image (this is the case with some PDF files) you can't search for text in it.
When you are viewing a PDF file, one way to check whether it contains real text or only images is to select the "T" text selection tool on the tool bar and see whether you can use it to select text. If the "text" is in fact an image, you will be able to use the image select tool to select rectangular pieces of it, but of course that won't find you any text. In that case you can convert the image to text with, so I understand, an OCR program that can do this. I have FineReader version 4, and it can't do this conversion.
Oliver

Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Right-click May 31, 2006

I position the mouse on a page and right-click, which displays a menu with a search function.

Not highly technical but may help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search within PDF File

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search