Need help finding softs to translate large english pdfs to chinese
Thread poster: fnzz905
fnzz905
English
Sep 6, 2006

I need help translating large english Pdfs into either a new pdf in Chinese or to a word doc. Anyone know of some easy to use software thats not 400 bucks. I found Systran 5.0 but that wont help on any files that are more then 1.5 meg in size some of the files I am working on are more then 10 meg in size. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! I have spent more then 10 hours online researching this for my client so far.

[Edited at 2006-09-06 20:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:47
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Wrong search Sep 6, 2006

Dear fnzz905,
First of all, I moved your post from forum "Interpreting" as this forum is devoted solely to interpreting or "oral translation" as some say.

Now regarding your question: translation is not done by software (as of today, the year 2006), but by people. Right here on this site you will find over 5ooo professionals translating from English to Chinese, go to the Directory , find the translators specializing in the field and contact them. This is the best way to go about translation.

Good luck,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-09-07 13:50]

Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:47
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Converting PDF into Word doc Sep 7, 2006

There is a software that converts PDf into Word:
http://www.solidpdf.com/

..then you can use some CAT tooll such as Transit to import the document.

fnzz905
English
TOPIC STARTER
. Sep 7, 2006

Thank you both. You have stopped me from having to smash my head into the wall.

One other thing tho, can you explaine that CAT tool to me.

[Edited at 2006-09-07 14:24]

nickiy  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:47
English to German
+ ...
Various languages supported by ... Sep 7, 2006

www.babylon.com -- 26 bi-directional language dictionaries in 14 languages, with access to 1600 public glossaries in 55 languages.

You can download a free trial version for 30 days.

I used it when I needed help to get through a Japanese web site. From/into Chinese is also available.

Kind regards,
Nickiy

Zhijun JIANG  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Be cautious about using machine translations Sep 7, 2006

As Chinese is totally different from English in terms of the wording and grammer, the output of the machine translation is usually unreadable. That's the part of the reasons why the translation is done by people at these days when it's possible for us to make friends with E.T. via high-tech means.

For the nouns and some simple phrases, the software is very useful. But for the long sentence, maybe you can just forget about it.

ASAPTrans
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:47
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Some Machine translations are useless Sep 13, 2006

We have tried several machine translation few years ago, but the result is word by word and direct translation. One client even offered us a proofreading job but the work was done by software. We had to reject the offer due to lots of work load with very low rate. They can only translate very simple and short sentences such as How are you !!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help finding softs to translate large english pdfs to chinese

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search