Trados extracts every evening...
Thread poster: Elke Fehling

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
English to German
+ ...
Sep 28, 2006

Hello everybody!

When I work on larger projects (especially, when several translators are involved) some of my clients ask me to regularly send them extracts from my Trados memory.

I don't like this. As long as I haven't finished a translation it still contains mistakes, terminology problems etc. Especially with larger translations I like to "finetune" my translation only after I have finished the whole text. I sometimes change a term in the end when I have a better understanding of the whole text.

I usually negotiate with the agency and then try to finish a part of my translation before the deadline, but sometimes this isn't possible. I am a bit tired of this.

How do you cope with this? What do you do?

Elke

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
That goes for partial deliveries too! Sep 28, 2006

Hi Elke,

I feel for you. Yours are my sentiments exactly, also with regard to partial deliveries before the due date.

I suppose it is a product of the way we work coupled with the agencies' understandable desire for some sort of security (that they'll get anything at all). That does not, however, change the way I feel about it.

A lot of the stuff I translate is highly complex material, my comprehension of which develops during translation. It is not seldom that I gain a deeper understanding of certain terms and concepts toward the end; unfortunately I do not have the same ‘blueprint’ in my mind as the author.

I make sure to let the client know that anything I send before the final delivery is preliminary and subject to change. I guess it's the only thing I can do. They pretty much have to accept it (unless, of course, we have agreed to something else from the beginning).

I guess that wasn't much of a suggestion, but I do feel a little better now. Thanks!

Best regards,
Derek

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Trados extracts every evening... Sep 28, 2006

This is the problem with phased deliveries in general, not just where TM is concerned. End customers may be forgiven for not understanding the translation process, but even some agencies are surprisingly ignorant, apparently thinking that translators sit down and type in their translations and are finished when they get to the end. Client education is needed.

On the other hand, when you are working with others on the same project, it is practical for terminology to be agreed whilst the translation is still in progress and not only at the end of it. I would offer to supply a regularly updated terminology list in this case.

Marc

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I assume it's a question of trust Sep 28, 2006

if you start with say 20.000 of untranslated material, this 20.000w are the risk the agency is taking with you (or me or us). Of course they want to cut it down as soon to avoid a total loss.

Of course if they realize half way than the freelancer is a lemon, the 10.000words of TM must surely be a lemon produce tool. I for one would not touch them with a 10ft pole.

Btw I have yet to have somebody ask me for that. But then again, it's good to know it may happen eventually.

[Edited at 2006-09-28 22:56]

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Sep 29, 2006

I have never had the impression that they didn't trust my work. They know me very well and have told me several times that they like my work (rare, I know!). So the entrust me with the translation because they like my work.

I think they really want to "have" the translation so they or the other translators can start editing/working with it etc...

It never crossed my mind that a translation agencies wouldn't be aware of the fact that we - as translators - don't just start translating on page 1 and stop when we are on the last page. But maybe that's just the point: they are ignorant....

Elke

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Expect the unexpected... Sep 29, 2006

It is not really a matter of trust... There are always cases when the translator cannot simply finish the work for reasons which are completely beyond them (either minor, such as problems with the Internet provider, a particularly vile computer virus attack, or major, such as ilness, national blackout or earthquake). Sometimes such situations prevent the translator even from submitting what they have already done. Then, if the agency was prudent enough, it may use the partial translation memory and hand it to another translator. No matter how incomplete and half-baked the memory is, it is still better than doing it from scratch.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados extracts every evening...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search