Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:12
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Nov 19, 2006

I have been using TO3000 extensively and it's a great help. However, I have several issues that are bothering / impeding me and I would appreciate your experience, opinion and suggestions.

Issue I: the structure of the approach (in version 8) is client ->> Project ->> job. This fits much more an agenca than a freelancer like me. I have more or less just cases of the form client ->> job. In other words this Project layer is just an impediment in my case: I have now completely unnecessary projects of a Type ClientXYZ, just to make it work. For me it would be great if I could assign jobs directly to aclient - but I have yet to find a way to do it.

Issue II: I as yet have to find how switch in a consistent fashion between "all clients" view and "signle client" view. The situations where I am getting nervous because I cant find what Im looking for (uninvoiced job for X, payment done for Y etc) are getting ominously frequent.

Issue III: if I look at the orders coming in, my top item is jobs (...that get assigned to a client) So I am (dangerously) vaccilating between keeping the current work under projects ( hidden under the required and for me useless project item) and the client (where I can find them at least).

Issue IV: automatic assignment of IDs - for jobs etc - of course goes against my grain and its benefits are lost on me - again I may be just misusing the system, but that's why I am writing this all up.

Well, let me stop at 4 (g).

TiA

smo
PS: why not go to TO3000 and see what their forums have to say? I would but ... er ... their URL at www.aithelp.com is broken (duh...)

[Edited at 2006-11-19 09:18]

Direct link Reply with quote

Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Answers Nov 19, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

Issue I: the structure of the approach (in version 8) is client ->> Project ->> job. This fits much more an agenca than a freelancer like me. I have more or less just cases of the form client ->> job. In other words this Project layer is just an impediment in my case: I have now completely unnecessary projects of a Type ClientXYZ, just to make it work. For me it would be great if I could assign jobs directly to aclient - but I have yet to find a way to do it.

There have been a lot of complaints about this. Hopefully they'll sort it out with the next version.

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:Issue II: I as yet have to find how switch in a consistent fashion between "all clients" view and "signle client" view. The situations where I am getting nervous because I cant find what Im looking for (uninvoiced job for X, payment done for Y etc) are getting ominously frequent.

How about the "Jump - Client" button at the bottom of the page?

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:Issue III: if I look at the orders coming in, my top item is jobs (...that get assigned to a client) So I am (dangerously) vaccilating between keeping the current work under projects ( hidden under the required and for me useless project item) and the client (where I can find them at least).

Sorry, you've lost me there. Please use the same terminology as the program. What do you mean by "orders coming in"? The "Schedule of Projects"?

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:Issue IV: automatic assignment of IDs - for jobs etc - of course goes against my grain and its benefits are lost on me - again I may be just misusing the system, but that's why I am writing this all up.

Seems fine to me. I don't see where the problem is with the assignment of job IDs.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
progress report... Nov 19, 2006

...How about the "Jump - Client" button at the bottom of the page?..
Darn it...Thanks (g)!

Sorry, you've lost me there....
My natural order of things happening is jobs coming in, so I number them 6001, 6002 .... Having them forcibly ordered by the project (project being eqivalent to the client) turns it into
client 1
client 2

etc

both in my mail boxes and in my production. So what I did now, is first to keep the jobs subdirectory as it used to be

jobs
........incoming
........work
........outgoing
........incoming
........work
........outgoing

and adjusted the client / project subdirectory to contain pointers/ links to jobs

project / client 1
--->6001
--->6015
project / client 2
--->6002

I dont see where the problem is with the assignment of job IDs
I would stick to GUIDs, but then they neither reflect the job numbers (as assigned by me) nor the client ID. Question of course is, "why should they?" - and I need to work on this question a little more.

[Edited at 2006-11-19 13:15]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:12
English to French
+ ...
I thought about switching, but... Nov 20, 2006

I waited for other people to try their new version of TO and talk a bit about their experience before switching to version 8 myself - and I never did!

I found such information as the one you just provided us with and other such comments in other threads very useful - I like my version 7 and don't want to switch only to lose all the reasons that made me buy it in the first place.

As Timothy, I also hope they will sort these things out in the not so distant future.

All the best!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fixing airplane engines in the air... Nov 20, 2006

Hi Victoria:

My problems are compounded by the fact I am (or I have been sg) switching to a new hardware, so the danger or losing one's assets - in spite of all backups and smell of burnt CDs in the air - is real.

Of course I may be overly paranoid. Anyhow, after switching to the old sorting order (i.e. a job with a PO being the top item in the hierarchy) I feel definitely better. Of course, I have yet to find, what I'll be missing...

Regards

smo

Effie Emmanouilidou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:12
English to Greek
Send an email to their support Nov 20, 2006

Hello Vito,

why don't you send an email with these complaints/problems to their support team (support@translation3000.com)?

They also have a feedback form at http://www.translat ion3000.com/ feedback/.

I had a problem once and they were quite quick in replying. I believe they really care what we think and if more translators let them know what our complaints are, they will be even more motivated to do something about it.

The Client - Project - Job structure annoys me as well quite a bit!!

Take care,

Effie

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I like your company, boys & girls Nov 20, 2006

why don't you send an email with these complaints/problems to their support team (support@translation3000.com)?

that's the reason why (g)

The support at TO is targeted "Gimme a question, I'll get you an answer" - possibly a pre-cooked answer. I had a straightforward question or two some time ago and I got a straightforward answer, which a) was correct and b) missed a point. I found the answer then myself. Maybe I just can't formulate questions clearly (sigh)...

A discussion thread @ TO would be much more interesting but I have yet to hear about it.

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A creative idea Nov 20, 2006

Hi Vito,

I really love their product overall, having entered it in v.8,
so, instead of waiting for their next version, I decided to 'join them' instead of 'fight them'.

So, I use the forced project layer to bring together jobs of a similar nature.

For example, one agency which keeps sending me Google-related jobs got themselves a "CLIENTXYZ-GOOGLE" project, under which all these jobs are listed. It puts some order in everything.

The start date is the date of the first job, and the end date is Dec. 31, 2006. I've yet to figure out what I'll do when we get there, soon...

Doron

Forgot to mention that each agency/client also have a CLIENTXYZ-OTHER project, for misc. jobs.

[Edited at 2006-11-20 21:54]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the problem ... Nov 20, 2006

The start date is the date of the first job, and the end date is Dec. 31, 2006....

and not the solution, the way I see it. My system is full of [DD.MM.YY-31.12.06] projects... And I am not fighting them, just trying to join.

smo

PS: I may sound like Eeyore and i feel like one at 0.01AM;P

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Soooo confusing! Nov 21, 2006

Hi Vito,

Like you, I upgraded to v8 expecting a great software to be even better, but the new Project > Job structure has me annoyed to no end. I've sent them an email but received a cookie-cutter answer of "thank you for your feedback, we'll look into it, blah, blah, blah". In a way, I'm relieved to see that others feel the same way.

With the new structure, which adds an unnecessary step, I've found it hard to figure out and remember to "close" projects when I mark a job as finished.

I find myself using the Client Jobs view more than anything else, because it's the most similar to what we used to have in v7. (Go to the Projects button on the left, then choose Client Jobs). But then, you can't go to invoicing or anywhere else from that screen. Aaargh!

Using a project to group several related jobs also has its cons, since all jobs are automatically scheduled as if assigned on the date the project was created, thus requiring an extra step to manually modify the assignment and due dates.

I must say that the one thing I love about v8 is the Custom Reports feature, but other than that, I've been tempted to revert back to v7 until the Project>Job issue and convoluted navigation are fixed. I wonder if the database is backwards compatible, but I'm guessing probably not.

Saludos!

Nora

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:12
French to English
+ ...
I bought v8... Nov 21, 2006

...never having used the previous versions, and I agree with the near unanimous gripes against the Project>Job structure.

As for the codes - I simply ignore the ones generated automatically by the software. Instead I always refer to the "Project Name" field, in which I use my own coding system (that I have used since becoming a freelancer).

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
why not? Nov 24, 2006

I have v.7 and I really do not understand what prevents you to return to it? It is definitely the simplest thing than to struggle with 8th version, intended for agencies, not for sole freelancers.

Jana Uhlik  Identity Verified
Belize
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
English to German
Bought V8, too, and returned to V7 Nov 25, 2006

I agree with Sergej. V8 seems to be intended for project managers and agencies, but the use for translators is limited (although it has some neat features which I would have liked to use). I bought V8 to try it out (having been really happy with all their other products) and after several frustrating days I reinstalled V7, which has always been really useful and saves me a lot of time. As the T3000 people are very client-oriented, I assume they will try to offer either a new or adjusted version as soon as they can to fulfill our needs. So, let's hope and see...

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I returned to v.7 as well Nov 26, 2006

Hi all,

Just to joint the common discontent with the news structure introduced by v.8. I bought the new version.

To share my experience: I did the migration from v.7 to v.8 on a test computer where I copied my TO3000 working directory. I tested it with several ongoing jobs which I entered both on my original PC (working with v.7) and on the test PC (working with v.8). I found the new folder structure and the project/job diferentiation too irritating and returned to using v.7.

What I need is that all jobs from a client to be created in the client's folder and removal of the project concept. Just jobs are sufficient for freelancer's work.

I hope that the developers will change their mind and will finally restore or, at least, provide a possibility for the translators to determine our own folder structure and choose between project-job and job-only work organization.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess I'm stuck Nov 26, 2006

...I found the new folder structure and the project/job diferentiation too irritating and returned to using v.7...

My hope is that there'll be some kind of V8.0 LE (or FE for freelancer edition), where the problems mentioned will be solved by automating, if not eliminating, the project layer, i.e. isomorph it to client. That would also make most sense from the supplier's point of view, because he would just need to support a subset of the flagship product, and not be forced to fork into two products.

About scaling back to V7 - not yet, but maybe, maybe with the new business year. Fact is, I love the reporting feature in V8 and have already all kinds of invoice, quote, PO confirmation templates that I would hate to lose on returning to V7.

So I guess I'm stuck...

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-11-26 08:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with Translation office 3000

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search