Translation Job
Thread poster: AleksandraGr
AleksandraGr
Local time: 13:42
English
Jan 14, 2007

I am a student and I will need to decide soon which form of translations I will be doing.Can you help me and write some tips about your job.What is better?- to translate live or on piece of paper?Which of this form is more interesting and better paid?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
More information Jan 14, 2007

Hi Aleksandra,

Welcome to Proz.com

Before we are able to answer your questions, we might need to know a little more about yourself and about the questions you are asking. What are you studying? And what do you mean with "live translation"? Do you mean interpreting?

Interpreting is not identical with translation, and you need different talents for either profession. Here is some more information about interpreting and the differences between translating and interpreting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreting

I hope this helps. If you tell us a little more about yourself and about what you expect from your dream profession, I am sure many colleagues here will be able to give you useful tips.

Best regards,
Stefanie

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
What kind? Jan 14, 2007

By ...to translate live or on piece of paper?

...do you mean interpreting or translating?

I, for instance, do both, and they can both be well-paid and interesting.

No one can tell you, it depends on your own inclinations and personality, and how sucessful you will be will depend on many factors I certainly do not know.

As an interpreter you have a lot of contact with people; as a translator you are generally very isolated from other people. That might give you a clue as to which one may better suit your own inclinations.

keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Watch, Work and Win Jan 14, 2007

Welcome to the community of translators.This profession can give you both fame and money. But it is not world of magic. You have to work hard, learn more and more.

Henry Hinds wrote:

No one can tell you, it depends on your own inclinations and personality, and how successful you will be will depend on many factors I certainly do not know.

Browse this site more and more. You can learn many unknown things about translation. Watch and take part in kudoZ questions to improve your language skill. Join forums and know the basics of the translation industry.

You are a student now. A bright future is awaiting for you.
Please go on.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:42
English to French
+ ...
Get some info on both - and then try them out! Jan 15, 2007

I think both require the same set of skills, but interpreting is actually much tougher - your brain works overtime when you interpret and if you're not careful, it can overheat and - BOOM! Also, you have to be physically strong with interpreting to endure sitting in a chair and looking pretty in a pencil skirt for eight hours straight, keeping from going to the washroom when you feel like it and even not having lunch sometimes. This isn't so with translation - I translate in my pajamas and have snacks while I work whenever I feel like it.

I would say there is no knowing what path you should take until you will actually have taken both. Try to get a stint with both jobs. This will be easy for translation - NGOs are always looking for non remunerated translation. For interpreting, it will be a bit harder, but you can advertise your services with immigrants (whenever they have any kind of interview, looking for an apartment or shopping a car), for example, and give them some of your time for free to start with, because you are only discovering it and it's not yet a means to make a living.

Personally, I have never tried interpreting. There is an interpreter at a Canadian TV station who works full time for them - he interprets house of commons, press conferences, the pope's speeches, name it. I listen to him each time in awe - I could never, ever do what he does! I think my brain is not fast enough to interpret, although I do translate at superior speed. I do, however, believe that, if you have the talent for it, you can actually train your brain to handle large amounts of information in real time (a bit like a flesh and blood computer?). Interpreting is not for me, and it is not for many people. But through translation, you can eventually work yourself into interpreting if you feel you have what it takes.

All the best!

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
That's exactly right! Jan 15, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

... looking pretty in a pencil skirt for eight hours straight, keeping from going to the washroom when you feel like it and even not having lunch sometimes. This isn't so with translation - I translate in my pajamas and have snacks while I work whenever I feel like it.

Hilariously true!

Interpreting : Being invited to a four-star restaurant... And having your plate taken away before you can touch it.

Watch out for those crumbs, Viktoria!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Job

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search