Any feature for asking source into source language clarification of terms?
Thread poster: Pundora

Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 22, 2007

Dear all,

It may be that sometimes we can’t get the exact meaning of a phrase or word while translating, in spite of using all the resources at our end. Kudoz at proz.com also used and still not satisfied. I think, in such situations it could be more helpful to ask native translators of our source language giving them the context. Then they would explain it in their language, in different and simple words what that particular word or phrase actually meant in the given context. Then, we could decide the term in our target language.

I am interested if there is any such feature at proz.com where we can get answers that way. Any other advice in this regard would be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Pundora

Direct link Reply with quote

Jalapeno
Local time: 16:54
English to German
Kudoz Jan 22, 2007

You can ask such questions in the English - English (or any other Source language - Source language) section of the KudoZ system, if I'm not mistaken.

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
French to English
+ ...
Monolingual questions Jan 22, 2007

There is, yes - e.g. English monolingual questions (and not just English, but that seems to be the language you work from). You can add the "pair" English-English to your list of language pairs, and that will allow you to see and ask English-only questions where people can advise you on the meaning of a phrase if you're stuck.

On your profile, go to the "Working Languages" box below your photo and click on the little picture of a pen (I think that's what it's supposed to be!) Then choose English for both the source and target languages - you can also opt to hide this pair from your profile by unticking the box which says "Show this language pair in my profile". Once you've saved it, then go to KudoZ - hopefully you should see English-only questions in addition to questions in your working pairs.

A word of caution, though - if you ask an English-only question, it's probably a good idea to say each time that you're just looking for clarification of the meaning of a word/phrase, because otherwise people might assume you're translating into English and want a sentence proofread.

Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jan 22, 2007

Thank you again for your perfect guidance Peter. I tried, it is working!!

Regards,

Pundora

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:54
Turkish to English
+ ...
Source text errors Jan 22, 2007

I find myself facing a similar kind of problem. I am sometimes sure that there is an error in the source text morphology or syntax which means that I will have to re-interpret the sentence so that it makes sense, but there is also a sneaking feeling that I may have missed something - after all, the text we are working with becomes 'sacred' to us. I would love to have the facility of asking native speakers (of Turkish in may case) the simple question: does this sentence make sense or not? I am not sure if the monolingual Kudoz feature is a suitable forum for asking such questions; in fact I have never really looked at this feature.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:54
German to English
+ ...
@ Tim Jan 22, 2007

Tim, what you describe is exactly what the monolingual pairs are intended to provide. Of course, at least in the English monolingual pair there are a fair number of people who (mis)use it as a free English tutoring service, but that's probably less common with other languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any feature for asking source into source language clarification of terms?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search