Thread poster: Francesca Botto

Francesca Botto
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 14, 2007

Hello,

a client asked me the translation of a marriage certificate. I live in the UK now, and I don't know the procedure to do this. In Italy you must be a "sworn" translator, and the procedure varies according to the city. Does the translation have to be signed or authenticated by a notary / solicitor? And to do this, does the client have to post me the original certificate or is a scanned copy enough?

Thanks to anyone who will help me out

Have a nice weekend,

Francesca

Direct link Reply with quote

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
My knowledge of this Apr 14, 2007

Hello,

I have been doing such things for quite a while now, so here's what I know :

There is no 'sworn' translators in the UK.

If one belongs to a professional body (ITI or CIoL), one can produce 'certified translations' (ITI people have a very pretty seal. CIoL members don't)

If you are one of them, all you need to do is write a letter of certification (in the target language!), giving your details as a translator, when you qualified, your registration number with said professional body and a short sentence saying your translation is a true and accurate translation of the original. You attached the letter to the translation and that's it.
(I have models in French and English. If you wish, I can email them to you)

For a translation into English that is enough.

However, it depends on the target language of your translation....and the authorities there.

For example, for English into French, French authorities will only have people registered with the French consulate...

Well, that's how I function, and it has served me well.

Carole

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
I forgot Apr 14, 2007

I forgot to answer your questions about scanned copies vs originals...First of all, no one has ever told me I had to see the originals (French Consulate paperwork during registration for example)

Still, I thought long and hard about it when I first started...the bottom line I think is to avoid fraud.

I don't think it is necessary for the translator to see the original, partly because very few of us could tell a false version from a real version (well, I can't , I am not a civil servant in the UK).
If we work on a good photocopy or a scanned file, we do the translation from there. In my opinion, it is down to the official at the other end to check the actual original document against our translation.
If we were fed a fake, it will show...or the end client has also falsified our translation...at which point, I am also a victim (I do keep all my translations though)

Well, this time, I think that's it.

Carole

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
It depends Apr 14, 2007

Francesca Botto wrote:

Hello,

a client asked me the translation of a marriage certificate. I live in the UK now, and I don't know the procedure to do this. In Italy you must be a "sworn" translator, and the procedure varies according to the city. Does the translation have to be signed or authenticated by a notary / solicitor? And to do this, does the client have to post me the original certificate or is a scanned copy enough?

Thanks to anyone who will help me out

Have a nice weekend,

Francesca

Hullo Francesca,
I often have to translate birth, marriage and death certificates in the UK. As a rule the client just wants a translation, but if they want it notarised they will tell me and I'll go to a notary's office to do so, or the client will also send me a certificate to sign saying I have translated it to the best of my knowledge and ability, or something like that. So my advice is to ask your client whether they want it authenticated or not.
Kind regards
Jenny.

Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
I translated my own marriage certificate Apr 15, 2007

Hi Francesca,

When I got married, the Italian Consulate in London needed a translation of my certificate. Therefore I asked them whether it had to be done by a sworn translator, but they just said that I could do it myself!!! I was very surprised, but I supposed it was because they could speak both languages. Anyway, I think Jenny is right, it is better if you ask the client whether it needs to be authenticated.

Ciao,

Livia

Francesca Botto
United Kingdom
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client asks for "some kind of certification / legal value" Apr 16, 2007

Thank you very much for your answers so far.

The client asks for "some kind of certification / legal value". He probably thought to leave it up to me, since I am the translator and I should know how to deal with this

Thank you for all your support,

Francesca

Francesca Botto
United Kingdom
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A full ITI member can certify a translation Apr 25, 2007

Hi everybody,

sorry if it took me a while to sum up an aswer.

Just wanted to let you know that in the end I passed the job on to a translator with an ITI seal, as this seems to be a recognised official way of having a certified translation. I didn't feel like taking the risk this time, but I'll definitely look into the ITI membership for the future.

Thanks and wish you a nice day!

Francesca

JohnyC
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
This is what wwe do... Apr 26, 2007

We are a company and the home office, for all things in this country, has advised me that a company stamp on all pages, with a covering letter from the company, on headed paper, confirming that an independent person has viewed the orriginals OTHER than the agent and the translator, so all of our certificates have the translation and covering letter triple signed AND the letter should say who did the translation and the time.

I'm sure if you less its fine but this is what the Home Office said and they said that with this you can submit all translated document for anything in the UK.

(Yes, no 'sworn translators')

PLEASE NOTE for Australia you need to be NAATI approved, I only mention this as it took me ages to find out this was required, however there is a list somewhere of ALL of these things - I think the IOL provides it.

Johny - London Independent Languages

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marriage certificates translation in the UK

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search