https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/72770-legend_on_planet_clarion.html

legend on planet "clarion"
Thread poster: Djidji74
Djidji74
Djidji74
Local time: 15:21
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 11, 2007

Hi,
I am reading a chapter of a book on hypnotherapy and more specifically about the power of prophecy, where the legend by Leon Festinger is given as an example: Tha is story of Marion Keech who has been receving messages from the planet " Clarion" asking her to gather all her followers and get ready to leave before a flood would come to destroy the world.
How would you translate it to the Arab readership? Is it a translation problem? with which translation method would you proce
... See more
Hi,
I am reading a chapter of a book on hypnotherapy and more specifically about the power of prophecy, where the legend by Leon Festinger is given as an example: Tha is story of Marion Keech who has been receving messages from the planet " Clarion" asking her to gather all her followers and get ready to leave before a flood would come to destroy the world.
How would you translate it to the Arab readership? Is it a translation problem? with which translation method would you proceed another ? with which example in the Arab culture would you replace it?
Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Could you clarify? May 11, 2007

Hi Djidji,

It may help if you could explain to us why you feel there's a particular difficulty in translating this story to Arab readers.
And why would you want to "replace" it with an example from Arab culture? I don't think that's our job as translators. Without further clarification, I would say just translate it as it is and leave it to the readers to make up their own minds.

Nesrin

Djidji74
Djidji74
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
because of the word Christmas May 12, 2007

Dear Nesrin,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Regarding the translation of the planet "Clarion", I thought it would better to replace it with the story of Noah and then talk about the fact that they had faith in themselves.

The reason why I thought it would be more appropriate because of the word "Christmas"that was included in the story. That would cause a taboo for religious communities and readers to be convinced of the effectiveness of the hypnother
... See more
Dear Nesrin,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Regarding the translation of the planet "Clarion", I thought it would better to replace it with the story of Noah and then talk about the fact that they had faith in themselves.

The reason why I thought it would be more appropriate because of the word "Christmas"that was included in the story. That would cause a taboo for religious communities and readers to be convinced of the effectiveness of the hypnotherapsit techniques if that example was given.

I am only a student and advice from a professional translator would be of a precious help for me.

Should I leave it as it is and translate it, please let me know how you think I should translate the part concerning "Christmas".

Bet Regards.
Djidji
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Still May 12, 2007

Hi Djidji,

Several things -

First of all, your idea to replace a story mentioned in a text with another story AND to add your own comments to it goes way beyond what a translator is expected/ allowed to do. I would definitely advise against that.

The reason why I thought it would be more appropriate because of the word "Christmas"that was included in the story. That would cause a taboo for religious communities and readers to be convinced of the effectiveness of the hypnotherapsit techniques if that example was given.

I see no problem with the mention of the word Christmas in a text that is translated and originally written by a Christian author. Moreover, millions of Arab Christians celebrate Christmas every year, so it's an Arab tradition too and should not offend or alienate Arab readers.

But even if it was not related to Arab culture - What would you do if you were translating a book by a Japanese author who mentioned examples from the Shinto or Buddhist cultures? Would you exclude these examples because Arab readers cannot relate to it? The book is written by a Japanese, so it's obvious that he is going to pick examples from his own culture - I would find it very odd if he kept referring to examples from the Arab or Islamic culture instead!
When an Arab reader decides to pick up or buy a book written by a foreign author, he should be prepared to be confronted with issues that do not form part of his culture.

Djidji74
Djidji74
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2007

Dear Nesrin,

I would like to thank you for replying for every comment I send. You were very patient with me bothering you with my superfluous or even wrong remarks about pre-translation analysis.

The information you are providing me with are of a great help for me. This is actually what we call "translation practice" . I am receiving information straight from a workplace. What else precious would I look for?

I am taking notes of all what you are suggestin
... See more
Dear Nesrin,

I would like to thank you for replying for every comment I send. You were very patient with me bothering you with my superfluous or even wrong remarks about pre-translation analysis.

The information you are providing me with are of a great help for me. This is actually what we call "translation practice" . I am receiving information straight from a workplace. What else precious would I look for?

I am taking notes of all what you are suggesting.

Thanks.
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Glad I was able to help May 13, 2007

Your remarks were not superfluous at all, it's a very valid discussion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

legend on planet "clarion"

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »