How to render past tense form in a Resume in English> french translation?
Thread poster: onesime

onesime
Canada
Local time: 23:48
English to French
May 30, 2007

Hello to every one!
I am translating a CV in wich the author explains his achievements and am wondering what is the best form to render in french sentences such as:

"advised on a range of international issues"

In English, the "I" is omitted, should it be the same in french, or is using the infinitive (what merely states about the autors duties and not achivements) better ?

Thanks to all.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
A sample May 31, 2007

You're in a better position than I to determine whether this person writes well in French. http://www.zelaurent.com/index.html . This person makes verbs into nouns in the context you've given.

Erika Cenefels  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:48
German to French
+ ...
Nouns May 31, 2007

Paul Merriam wrote:
This person makes verbs into nouns in the context you've given.

Yes nouns are widely used. I would recommend to do so.

Sandra Petch
Local time: 05:48
French to English
+ ...
Examples of French CVs Jun 3, 2007

Hello Onesime

Here are some examples of CVs in French proposed by the ANPE (French employment bureau or "job centre"). They may help you.

http://www.anpe.fr/espace_candidat/conseils/conseils_emploi/ateliers_prestations/dossiers_pour_savoir_plus/exemples_cv_233.html

I don't have much experience of writing CVs in French, but I have it in the back of my mind that expressions such as "chargé(e) de" and "responsable de" are often used, e.g. "chargée de la recherche de clientèle."

Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to render past tense form in a Resume in English> french translation?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search