Translating Organization Names
Thread poster: María Teresa Jones Acebal

María Teresa Jones Acebal  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jun 13, 2007

Dear Translators,

I'm posting this message since I came up with a doubt when translating a document EN-SP for the US.
As we all know, names of cities, countries and the like, and those known to have a recognized translation, should be translated. However, when I come across names of organizations, which have not been translated, I have two options: leave the original name, or translate it and write the name between parentheses.
Is there any rule as regards this practice?
What should happen if we chose to translate the names, and then the target text ended up crammed with parentheses?

I appreciate your comments on this questions, and any experience you may want to share.

Thanks!

Teresa

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
One approach Jun 13, 2007

María Teresa Jones Acebal wrote:
I'm posting this message since I came up with a doubt when translating a document EN-SP for the US.

If they're U.S. organizations and you're translating into Spanish for the U.S., it's a good idea to provide both the English name and a Spanish translation on first reference.

If the reader wants to contact or find out about the organization, they'll need the English name. For instance, the name "Sociedad Protectora de Animales" does me no good if I'm trying to find the ASPCA.

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:25
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
also check the organisations themselves Jun 13, 2007

For instrance " Médcins Sans Frontières" is commonly known
as "Médicos sin Fronteras" in Spain or "docters without borders" in the US.
So check out the website of the org and see if they have translated they own name already...

Ed

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:25
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
When there are too many parentheses Jun 13, 2007

Your approach is good. It's always best to leave the source name in the text if there's not an internationally recognized name.
To avoid having a paragraph full of parentheses, you can start putting the translation in footnotes.

Maria Diehn  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Colombia, they are called "Médicos sin fronteras Jun 13, 2007

In Colombia, they are called "Médicos sin fronteras." This a well-known organization there. No need to leave the original name.
Médicos Sin Fronteras - Colombia-Saiza
A finales de junio, Médicos Sin Fronteras (MSF) puso en marcha un proyecto estable en la ciudad, para cubrir las necesidades médicas de la población ...
http://www.msf.es/noticias/noticias_basicas/2005/colombiasaiza.asp

María Teresa Jones Acebal  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Jun 14, 2007

Dear Translators,

Thank you so much! You have all been very helpful!

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Organization Names

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search