Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Non-native-speaker translation
Thread poster: Leo Holroyd (X)
Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 01:15
Reply Jul 31, 2007

I however agree with Amy and think that the ability to write in/translate into a non-native language is rather limited to a few individuals and should not be considered as a general rule. When discussing about the native language issue, the names of Conrad, Beckett, Nabokov etc. invariably pop in, but this doesn't mean that everybody is able to translate into his non-native language. In fact, I couldn't write like Conrad and co. even in my native language! It's a rare ability, an exception rathe... See more
I however agree with Amy and think that the ability to write in/translate into a non-native language is rather limited to a few individuals and should not be considered as a general rule. When discussing about the native language issue, the names of Conrad, Beckett, Nabokov etc. invariably pop in, but this doesn't mean that everybody is able to translate into his non-native language. In fact, I couldn't write like Conrad and co. even in my native language! It's a rare ability, an exception rather than the rule.

In my opinion, a translator should be hyper-critical with himself before attempting translation into a non-native language. And I dare say this is not very common, given the number of ProZ members and users who claim to translate into a non-native language and yet are unable to write 2 lines in said language in the ProZ fora without mistakes.
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:15
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes can't avoid it Jul 31, 2007

I always advertise myself as a translator from German (my acquired language) to English (my native language).
However, I have lived in Germany continuously for 25 years now (plus a few years previously during and after my student days), and most of my daily life takes place in German. I even do creative writing in German (largely stuff that I hope to get round to putting into my native English some time). And I have sometimes even corrected/edited German texts written by German native spe
... See more
I always advertise myself as a translator from German (my acquired language) to English (my native language).
However, I have lived in Germany continuously for 25 years now (plus a few years previously during and after my student days), and most of my daily life takes place in German. I even do creative writing in German (largely stuff that I hope to get round to putting into my native English some time). And I have sometimes even corrected/edited German texts written by German native speakers (sometimes informally, e.g. in our church here, but I once also did it professionally for a fee - and the publisher's editor insisted that he wanted me and nobody else for that particujlar job).

As far as competence and quality go, there is hardly any difference - on a few occasions I have even done contract translations into German (including all of that intricate syntax), and German solicitors (direct clients) have been happy with the results. But I still find that working into English flows more easily, and I try to concentrate on that direction as much as possible. I get about 95% of my work into English, and I prefer it that way.

The jobs I get into German basically fall into 2 categories:
- Certified translations such as birth and death certificates etc. My court certification over here makes no distinction between the language directions, so I just have to accept them.
- Jobs for established clients (mainly solicitors) for whom I regularly translate into English; they come up with an English-German job once in a while and are happy with the results, so I do the job. I just hope that it will remain an exception.

As Steven pointed out, it is all too easy for translators to accept jobs into their foreign language and not realise that their active command of the language is not really up to it. (I suppose this is a variant of Parkinson's law that office employees are sometimes promoted until they are one level higher than they are competent for.) I hope that I always avoid that trap. So I feel that the "native only" rule is actually very sensible, but there are some exceptions
Collapse

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Technology/science field an exception? Jul 31, 2007

People never talk about whether non-English-native scientists should write scientific papers in English, because it is the norm that as a scientist, you can write, and most of the time, in English too. Publish or perish. Numerous research papers are written by non-native speakers in every scientific journal and every issue. Then if it is widely accepted that a scientist can write articles in English, why is that he/she shouldn't translate scientific articles into English, provided that he/she do... See more
People never talk about whether non-English-native scientists should write scientific papers in English, because it is the norm that as a scientist, you can write, and most of the time, in English too. Publish or perish. Numerous research papers are written by non-native speakers in every scientific journal and every issue. Then if it is widely accepted that a scientist can write articles in English, why is that he/she shouldn't translate scientific articles into English, provided that he/she doesn't mind doing so?

The thing is, for technical/scientific materials, there is not much of style. It's mostly (if not all) about facts and logics. Unlike in literature translations, where the language itself is the key for quality; for technical/scientific writings, the most challenging part, other than terminology, is the "scientific common sense". Just as many linguists have seen translation work by non-native translators that is not up to the standard at all, I've seen quite some translation work by native translators that doesn't make sense.

Of course, the ideal situation is to have a native speaker that is familiar with the subject. But when such a talent is hard to find, should we go for the language proficiency or the knowledge of the material first? My understanding is, go with language skills for literatures, and familiarity with the content for technical translations.

In my case, there are just not so many native English speakers who have learned Chinese and become translators, and who would enjoy translating heavily loaded medical/pharmaceutical materials which, when in English, 30% of the words could be marked by Word spell check as wrong spelling (of course I am not talking about typos here). I am glad I found this niche of market and I am enjoying it. I believe many others can too.

This said, I don't mean that anyone who got a scientific degree in the target language should claim they can translate technical materials into his/her secondary language. I just think the "Native speaker only" rule is too general, and exceptions should be given to the technical/scientific field.
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
interesting discussion Aug 3, 2007

But will there ever be a rule that everybody will agree on?

I know several foreigners who write faultless Norwegian, but most of them do not, of course. The people who can translate well into their non-native languages are the exception rather than the rule, I think.
Which is, of course, why some outsourcers prefer "natives only" over having to evaluate every case. Of course, there is no guarantee that even a native is able to produce a good translation...
See more
But will there ever be a rule that everybody will agree on?

I know several foreigners who write faultless Norwegian, but most of them do not, of course. The people who can translate well into their non-native languages are the exception rather than the rule, I think.
Which is, of course, why some outsourcers prefer "natives only" over having to evaluate every case. Of course, there is no guarantee that even a native is able to produce a good translation
I am one of the "technical types" - I have a medical degree from an English-speaking country, and lived there for many years to earn it. So still, when it comes to medical terminology, my English is better than my Norwegian, but that does not mean I think I am capable of translating into English.

The most important thing -to avoid making a fool of oneself, -must be to get an independent evaluation. Or a translation degree. Being certified to translate both ways must count for something?
Collapse

technospeak (X)
technospeak (X)
English to French
Definitely not good practice Aug 20, 2007

From my experience, the result will never as good as a translator translating into his/her mother tongue. Sometimes it can even be very funny

But the market is the market and customers do not always know that so...

Chris
technospeak.com

[Edited at 2007-08-20 16:13]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-native-speaker translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »