Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
A plurilingual question - how do you say computerese in your native language?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 06:13
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 30, 2007

First of all, I apologize for not asking a KudoZ question, but I would appreciate as many different pairs as possible, and theres nothing like a plurilingual corner on KudoZ.

Whats the reason for this question?

It just came up in one of Slovenian fori (slovlit) and my suggestion (računalščina) got ... well not flamed, but somewhere between toasted and cooked hard by a professional guardian of my mother language. H went on a tangent and eventually did not provide any
... See more
First of all, I apologize for not asking a KudoZ question, but I would appreciate as many different pairs as possible, and theres nothing like a plurilingual corner on KudoZ.

Whats the reason for this question?

It just came up in one of Slovenian fori (slovlit) and my suggestion (računalščina) got ... well not flamed, but somewhere between toasted and cooked hard by a professional guardian of my mother language. H went on a tangent and eventually did not provide any alternative answer - the expression just does not exist on their books, so theres no problem - damnatio ignorantiae.

I would just like to get back at him with some juicy, good ideas from elsewhere. Thanks a lot in advance and have fun.

Vito
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dutch Jul 30, 2007

computerlatijn = computer Latin
computerjargon = computer jargon
computeriaans = computerian

Paulo César Mendes MD, CT
Paulo César Mendes MD, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Portuguese Jul 30, 2007

Informatiquês = Informaticalese

Derived from 'informática' (informatics).

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:13
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
German Jul 30, 2007

Depending on purpose and readership:

Computerfachsprache
Computerfachjargon
Computerdeutsch
Computer-Fachchinesisch
Computersprech

mariana24
mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:13
Spanish
+ ...
Spanish Jul 30, 2007

Hi Vito,

I can only think of one way of saying "computerese" in Spanish, and that is "jerga informática" (computer jargon).

Good luck!

Mariana

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
ja ... in die Richtung Jul 30, 2007

Computerfachsprache
Computerfachjargon
Computerdeutsch
Computer-Fachchinesisch
Computersprech

it must sound peiorative ..

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
... that could be it ... Jul 30, 2007

"jerga informática" (computer jargon).

... računalniški žargon ... its a descriptive term .... for computerese (g) Thanks!

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Some more German Jul 30, 2007

Computerkauderwelsch
IT-Sprech und Nerddeutsch are known to Google. Nerddeutsch is slightly different but too cute to ignore it

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Piggygerman Jul 30, 2007

In Finnish bad and incomprehencible language is called "piggygerman" = siansaksaa. So I would suggest atk-siansaksaa or tietokonesiansaksaa or IT-siansaksaa. But Finnish colleagues could come up with something better.

Cheers
Heinrich

Nick Lingris
Nick Lingris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:13
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Greek Jul 30, 2007

The formal term is:
η γλώσσα της πληροφορικής, i.e. the language of informatics (computer science)

In colloquial Greek:
κομπιουτερίστικα, i.e. "computeristics" (same formation as the one used for legalese, νομικίστικα)
κομπιουτερική or κομπιουτερίστικη (γλώσσα, διάλεκτος), i.e. "computeric" or "computeristic" (language, dialect)

"κομπιουτερική" cou
... See more
The formal term is:
η γλώσσα της πληροφορικής, i.e. the language of informatics (computer science)

In colloquial Greek:
κομπιουτερίστικα, i.e. "computeristics" (same formation as the one used for legalese, νομικίστικα)
κομπιουτερική or κομπιουτερίστικη (γλώσσα, διάλεκτος), i.e. "computeric" or "computeristic" (language, dialect)

"κομπιουτερική" could stand on its own in the same way that κινεζική (= Chinese) could stand for κινεζική γλώσσα (= Chinese language).
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian Jul 31, 2007

Computerese...as simple as that or also informatichese.

Maybe somebody will come up with something different and more imaginative, but I cannot think of anything else.

Ciao!

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:43
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I can give the Tamil term but can it be read by others? Jul 31, 2007

Computerese in Tamil will be kaNiniparibaashai (கணினிபரிபாஷை). Computerese is meant solely for computer-literates I suppose.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Turkish Jul 31, 2007

Hi Vito,

In Turkish, it would be bilgisayar (computer) dili (language) in a neutral tone. But if you want something pejorative, I guess bilgisayarcı ağzı might do. This not only conveys the message that the language in question is not understandable to all others (ağızbilgisayar (computer) dili (language) in a neutral tone. But if you want something pejorative, I guess bilgisayarcı ağzı might do. This not only conveys the message that the language in question is not understandable to all others (ağız means "jargon" in this sense, but it may well be used to refer to "blahblah"), but also the term bilgisayarcı (computerman) blurs the difference between an IT expert and a technician repairing computers, or even a salesperson.

But other Turkish speakers might come up with something better...
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
French Jul 31, 2007

jargon informatique

In French we commonly use the word "informatique" for IT and computer science.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: User's request - http://www.proz.com/ticket/310325
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A plurilingual question - how do you say computerese in your native language?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »