Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:17
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

http://translator.live.com/Default.aspx

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation.

Rufen Sie mich Ishmael an. Einigen Jahren vor - kümmern Sie nie sich um wie lang genau - wenig oder kein Geld in meinem Geldbeutel habend und nichts, das, zum ich auf Ufer zu interessieren bestimmt ist, dachte ich, dass ich über wenig segeln und das wässrige Teil der Welt sehen würde. Es ist eine Weise, die ich vom Abtreiben der Milz habe und Regulieren der Zirkulation.

Llámeme Ishmael. Algunos años hace - nunca importe de cuánto tiempo exacto - que tenían poco o nada de dinero en mi monedero, y nada particular para interesarme en orilla, pensé que navegaría sobre poco y que vería la parte acuosa del mundo. Es una manera que tengo de eliminar el bazo, y regulación de la circulación.

Вызовите меня Ishmael. Некоторые леты тому назад - не обращайте внимания сколько времени точно - имея небольшое или никакое деньги в моем портмоне, и ничего определенное, котор нужно интересовать меня на береге, я думал что я плавало о немного и увидело водообильную часть мира. Оно путь я имею управлять с хандры, и регулировать циркуляцию.

دعاتني [إيشمل]. باليت بعض سنون [أغو] - أبدا [هوو لونغ] تماما - يتلقّى [ليتّل ور نو] مال في محفظتي, ولاشيء خاصّة أن يهمّني على شاطئ, أنا فكّرت أنا أبحرت حول قليلا ورأى الجزء مائيّ من العالم. هو طريق أنا أتلقّى من [دريف وفّ] الطحال, وينظّم الدوران.

[Edited at 2007-09-12 07:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:17
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not brilliant, but understandable Sep 12, 2007

I see it as a worrying indication that machine translation is improving all the time and may eventually take our jobs away from us. The Russian version is ungrammatical and has several other errors, but it conveys the sense of the original without much ambiguity.

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 01:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian is atrocious! Sep 12, 2007

Jack, I can't believe you gave such a mild critisizm...

Vito, believe it or not I tested it yesterday with the text re search for Fossett - final words "takes its toll" were translated as "began to accept toll charges".

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
The Italian version is horrible Sep 13, 2007

Denominilo Ishmael. Determinati anni fa - non si occupi mai di quanto tempo precisamente - che hanno pochi o nessun soldi in mia borsa e niente di particolare per interessarli sul puntello, ho pensato che navigassi circa poco e vedessi la parte acquosa del mondo. È un senso che ho di spingere la milza e regolare la circolazione.

That machine must be dyslexic...

Ciao Vito, take care!
B.

[Edited at 2007-09-13 02:09]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dutch to English Sep 13, 2007

Here's a piece of Wikipedia from Dutch to English. Does it sound like English to you?

South Africa is a country that, as the name does already presumption, to the south point of Africa lies. The country borders in the north to Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe, in the east to Mozambique and Swazi country. The independent state Lesotho is enclosed South Africa in its whole.

The real test of a machine translator is how well you can chat on IRC in a channel with people who speak some other language... how long before you get booted for it!

[Edited at 2007-09-13 16:05]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
as Lee Iacocca kept saying... Sep 14, 2007

just compare.

My original mail had something like "...reminds me of Newton - Gary Trudeau would be needed at this point ..." But then I said: "Dont comment, just point out", and deleted the sentence.

The international opinion in any case matches mine: "not yet there". Lee Iacocca would probably say "Yugo."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Live Translator Beta

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search