Thread poster: MariusV
MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:25
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2007

I have a question (maybe a rather straightforward one): I have been using Trados for a couple of years for my work and, more or less, I am quite satisfied with it (cannot say that I am fully satisfied). I heard the bell ringing that the new CAT tool MemoQ is a very good one and has many more advantages than Trados (incl. its price, and the thing that no one will ever get to know if you did the text using Trados or MemoQ as they are compatible).

I have been thinking to purchase Memo
... See more
I have a question (maybe a rather straightforward one): I have been using Trados for a couple of years for my work and, more or less, I am quite satisfied with it (cannot say that I am fully satisfied). I heard the bell ringing that the new CAT tool MemoQ is a very good one and has many more advantages than Trados (incl. its price, and the thing that no one will ever get to know if you did the text using Trados or MemoQ as they are compatible).

I have been thinking to purchase MemoQ, but is there any sense to have two CAT tools ? In other words, is MemoQ so good to have and spend money for when one already has Trados?

Could anyone share some ideas and experience?
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:25
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
recent discussion Sep 18, 2007

I have tested MemoQ only for a couple of hours and found it lacking regarding the main translation functionalities. I described some of my impressions in this discussion just the other day:

http://www.proz.com/topic/83896

One of the main developers of MemoQ provided some feedback as well.

But I would also be interested in other people's experience.

<
... See more
I have tested MemoQ only for a couple of hours and found it lacking regarding the main translation functionalities. I described some of my impressions in this discussion just the other day:

http://www.proz.com/topic/83896

One of the main developers of MemoQ provided some feedback as well.

But I would also be interested in other people's experience.

[Edited at 2007-09-18 02:01]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
MemoQ definitely deserves a testdrive Sep 18, 2007

I have tested MemoQ recently on a couple of projects and I was quite impressed. Being a DVX user, I am biased and I still miss some functionality in terms of row sorting and selecting, automatic terminology insertion and file format support, but some approaches definitely appeal to me.

Returning to your actual question why one should spend money on another CAT tool when you already have Trados. Maybe because after all, you will end up spending your money anyway: either on a Trados
... See more
I have tested MemoQ recently on a couple of projects and I was quite impressed. Being a DVX user, I am biased and I still miss some functionality in terms of row sorting and selecting, automatic terminology insertion and file format support, but some approaches definitely appeal to me.

Returning to your actual question why one should spend money on another CAT tool when you already have Trados. Maybe because after all, you will end up spending your money anyway: either on a Trados update (how many of them did you buy in all those years?) or on a CAT tool that has a friendlier approach to upgrading, like MemoQ, where they apparently do not charge for updates at all, or DVX, where new builds (often with extended functionality) are for free and new versions last for many years.
Collapse

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 09:25
English to German
+ ...
The pros and cons of using two CATS Sep 19, 2007

I can identify with you, Marius, since I am using two CATS, namely Trados and Metatexis. I bought Metatexis on the mere grounds that it has been developed by a translator and that it has a good price/performance ratio (by the way, Metatexis can produce a final Trados version, too, even though I am not sure this would work with the very latest Trados versions as Trados are probably not so keen on collaborating with their competitors...

I am getting off the beaten track a little becau
... See more
I can identify with you, Marius, since I am using two CATS, namely Trados and Metatexis. I bought Metatexis on the mere grounds that it has been developed by a translator and that it has a good price/performance ratio (by the way, Metatexis can produce a final Trados version, too, even though I am not sure this would work with the very latest Trados versions as Trados are probably not so keen on collaborating with their competitors...

I am getting off the beaten track a little because your original question was whether you should buy MemoQ...I don't know that program, sorry.

Metatexis has quite a few very useful functions such as cost calculation or keeping record of your time spent. I have read the whole manual of 250 pages twice at least, it is very clear and very good, however, you know what it is like when one is in a hurry...then I usually resort to Trados because I know it better...so I am for ever stuck on my current level or knowledge regarding Metatexis. But the good news with Metatexis is all future upgrades are FREE and it only costs 130 Euros.

Herman Bruns, the inventor, has just added a concordance function, one feature I think Metatexis needed badly, but I did not have time to download the latest version of Metatexis yet...

I think different CATS for different purposes...You hopefully know that Trados does have severe problems with large files or files containing a lot of picture because it calculates for ever...

Do you read German? There is a good book by Francois Massion "Translation Memory Systeme" im Vergleich in German, it gives you in a nutshell what the different CATs can do...I have the book and found it quite useful...

As a matter of fact after reading the book, I wanted to buy Deja Vu, but it is definitely too expensive...

Martin
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
Good investment Sep 19, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:
As a matter of fact after reading the book, I wanted to buy Deja Vu, but it is definitely too expensive...
Martin

With a program like Deja Vu, you'd probably recoup the initial investment within the first month. There's a Proz - 20% group sale offer at the moment if you're interested. You could also download the 30-day trial version and give it a try. The good news is you don't have to pay for updates. I paid over 4000 euros for Trados 1.2 back in 1996, about 500 euros more to upgrade to Trados 3, and another 500 euros to upgrade to Trados 5.5. According to the SDL Trados site, upgrading from Trados 5.5 to SDL Trados 2007 is now ONLY 476 euro! Thanks, but no thanks...
BR,
David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados versus MemoQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »