definitions
definitions
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:49
English
+ ...
Sep 20, 2007

Hello,
I hope I've posted this in the right place. The issue is: I may be assigned to proofread/translate a website, but I've never done this before, so I would like advice on how this is usually done. In the past, I've translated only *parts* of a website, but these were sent to me as Word texts & I always delivered them as Word files so there was never a problem. I do not own CAT tools-- are any necessary for (whole) website translations?
All advice/suggestions much appreciated, th
... See more
Hello,
I hope I've posted this in the right place. The issue is: I may be assigned to proofread/translate a website, but I've never done this before, so I would like advice on how this is usually done. In the past, I've translated only *parts* of a website, but these were sent to me as Word texts & I always delivered them as Word files so there was never a problem. I do not own CAT tools-- are any necessary for (whole) website translations?
All advice/suggestions much appreciated, thanks!
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
What's the Problem? Sep 20, 2007

Find out how they are going to send you the text. I assume you are worried about technical problems, because the translation part would be like any other job.

After consulting the client your worries may vanish, or if you foresee a technical problem just have the client send you the text in a format you know how to deal with.

definitions
definitions
United Arab Emirates
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I would like to know is... Sep 20, 2007

.... the various ways this can be done. I mean, doing it in Word is the only way I know/have experience with, but I was wondering if anyone else does it some other way & what would be the pros & cons of that method.

Assuming I'm proofreading. With Word, the client would have to do the copying & pasting himself. I would like to know if there is a way I can proofread the webpage such that there will be no need for the client to do anything like that, so I can deliver the work, voila!-
... See more
.... the various ways this can be done. I mean, doing it in Word is the only way I know/have experience with, but I was wondering if anyone else does it some other way & what would be the pros & cons of that method.

Assuming I'm proofreading. With Word, the client would have to do the copying & pasting himself. I would like to know if there is a way I can proofread the webpage such that there will be no need for the client to do anything like that, so I can deliver the work, voila!-- just the way it will look on the internet.

You'd probably have guessed by now that I'm very technically UN-savvy. But I'd like to learn.

Thanks in advance for your guidance/pointers!
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
cat tool for html Sep 21, 2007

you can translate html, common format for web pages, directly in most cat tool. directly means that you don't have to extract the text first into other format, i.e. doc, etc.
although you can always use text editor for this, using cat tool is more beneficial due to its tm function, specifically for repetitive phrases/sentences.
for proofreading, i think you can use text editor in order to revise the html directly. i usually use nvu fo
... See more
you can translate html, common format for web pages, directly in most cat tool. directly means that you don't have to extract the text first into other format, i.e. doc, etc.
although you can always use text editor for this, using cat tool is more beneficial due to its tm function, specifically for repetitive phrases/sentences.
for proofreading, i think you can use text editor in order to revise the html directly. i usually use nvu for this: http://www.nvu.com/

[Edited at 2007-09-21 00:58]
Collapse

definitions
definitions
United Arab Emirates
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Sep 21, 2007

Thank you Mulyadi for the tip.
I've just looked up nvu and it is definitely something I'm interested to try.

MiaK
MiaK  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:49
Spanish to Finnish
+ ...
Another HTML Tool Sep 23, 2007

Nvu is a good visual HTML editor, but I think Amaya is even better:
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/BinDist.html
(Released by the World Wide Web Consortium, W3C.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation advice sought

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »