Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:26
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Sep 21, 2007

I just thought this were worth sharing. I had a sort of a "memento mori " (*) or said in our context "memento translata** - remember what you have translated". Here it goes...

I had to check for an item - its "bestimmungsgemäße Verwendung" in German or something like "use in accordance with the intended purpose" - and looked it up in one of my translation memories. It's called "DE SL - Full monty" and the name says it all.

What I found was a history trail of alternatives. They start with a pretty much complete miss (I just did not get it, yet, at that first time, I must confess) and crawl slooowly up the hill (while collecting bits and pieces from elsewhere, Eurolex, Slovenian legislature etc) toward the translation Ive been using the last few times. It's not much, maybe five, six milestones - or tombstones, if you wish - but it was enough to make me sit and stare at the display.

Remember what you have translated. Crave for a humbly pie? Dig into your translation memory.

Regards

Vito

PS: Of course I already edited all this out of my Full Monty.

(*) there was a king, who had a servant hold a sword over his head (at least during social hours afaik) and mumble all the time "Memento mori - remember you will die".

** transferro transtuli translatum - right;)?

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:26
English to French
+ ...
Funny Sep 22, 2007

This is funny - I sometimes do look at old documents from way back when (I still have EVERYTHING neatly tucked away on an external drive) and try to remember how I got to translate things that way back then and then try to measure how I came to translate like I do now.

I have learned to use all my translation memory tools well and am really thankful for it - every time I learn something that makes me better, I take the time to revisit old stuff and corrrect it so it is "like new" again. Sure can sound like a waste of time - but how rewarding a waste of time it is!

Jim Tucker  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
(fero!) Sep 22, 2007

I look at old stuff I did, and usually have no recollection of the act at all. "But," I think to myself, "that guy sure is goooooood...."

canaria
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:26
French to English
+ ...
ditto! Sep 24, 2007

Jim Tucker wrote:

I look at old stuff I did, and usually have no recollection of the act at all. "But," I think to myself, "that guy sure is goooooood...."

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well... Sep 24, 2007

Im not that far, yet ...

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Lucky you! Sep 27, 2007

Jim Tucker wrote:

I can find myself looking in horror and thinking I translated it like THAT? And they came back to me???

Of course, now I'm perfect

[Edited at 2007-09-27 10:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memento translata - remember what you have translated

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search