https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/8801-russian%3A_elementary_problem_of_how_to_enter_a_kudoz_question_in_cyrillic_script.html

Russian: Elementary problem of how to enter a Kudoz question in cyrillic script.
Thread poster: TechLawDC
TechLawDC
TechLawDC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:56
German to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2003

In Windows XP, English edition, I can view Cyrillic script but I cannot write it in Interenet Explorer. Therefore how can I enter a Russian Kudoz question? (The question was: differentsial\'naya zachet.) When I tried to import the Cyrillic from my word processor it would not import (got Roman nonsense instead, in the Internet Explorer field).

David Knowles
David Knowles  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:56
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
Depends on word processor and browser Feb 21, 2003

If you use matching versions of Word and Internet Explorer, there should be no problem in cutting and pasting.

My guess is that you are using Internet Explorer 5 (since most people do) but not Word 97 or later. If you use Word 6, you will get nonsense when you paste. You will also get nonsense if you paste from the Oxford Russian Dictionary, because its technology is very old.

You need a word processor that supports unicode.

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
small suggestion Feb 21, 2003

1. Whether you can type and read the result in you Office applications? If the answer is positive, then you may open an application, type the required phrase and then \"OLE\" (copy and past) it into your browser. [What is interesting, perhaps the most \"honest\" softare treating well Cyr fonts is ... PageMaker]. However, you first should a) install the support of Cyrillic on your PC and then b) use also the correct fonts (Times NR, Arial and System - can be dowloaded from MS site and some relate... See more
1. Whether you can type and read the result in you Office applications? If the answer is positive, then you may open an application, type the required phrase and then \"OLE\" (copy and past) it into your browser. [What is interesting, perhaps the most \"honest\" softare treating well Cyr fonts is ... PageMaker]. However, you first should a) install the support of Cyrillic on your PC and then b) use also the correct fonts (Times NR, Arial and System - can be dowloaded from MS site and some related sites) in your system, applications, and browsers . Next thing, your browser setups should also be \"familiar\" with Cyr encodings (e.g., WinCp 1252, DOS CP 866, ISO, KOI-8, etc.). Try one simple thing: open an apriori RUssian site and then, if you cannot see real Russian words via your browser on Russian pages (e.g., www.ksu.ru, or www.ya.ru), but applications show you Russian well, therefore the problem is seemingly with your browser. Use the Opera - perhaps the finest and fastest among browsers, which manages all encodings quite honestly.

2. If you cannot make your system to show you Russian words correctly, then the problem is only with system and other fonts in your Win. To solve it please describe me more exactly your troubles ([email protected]) and I shall try to explain all steps necessary to reach the right result.

Yours,

Tagir.
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:56
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Just try to change the encoding Feb 21, 2003

I am sorry if you already tried this, but it may be just that simple:

most Russian questions/forum topics/etc. are typed using Win1251 ( ! not 1252 ! ) encoding.

To change it in IE, select View>Encoding>[More>]Cyrillic(Windows)

I have noticed some progress towards UTF-8 on the site lately, but it has not been officially announced, so most people still use Win1251 by default to type Cyrillics.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian: Elementary problem of how to enter a Kudoz question in cyrillic script.

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »