Alt + Tab to move between applications
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
French to English
Feb 22, 2003

Here is a clever little “technique” which I’m sure most of you already know, but since I only got to hear of it (from my son) the other day, it occurred to me that it might be useful to some others as well.

Like all translators no doubt, I usually have several applications open at the same time (typically Word, a couple of dictionaries, etc.). I always used to move between them by clicking on their icons at the foot of the screen, but there is a much quicker way of switching from one to another, once you get the hang of it:

Hold down the Alt key with one finger and with the other press the Tab key to scroll through the list of applications until you get to the one you want. It doesn’t seem much but it’s a whole lot faster than using the mouse.

Hope some of you find this useful.

All the best

Barnaby

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
I shall hide in shame Feb 22, 2003

Hi Barnaby,

I\'ve been working with computers since 1986, and I still didn\'t know about this useful little tip, how pathetic. And it works a treat. I must admit my son (17) often comes up with little goodies too. It\'s well worth listening to \"the younger generation\".

Thanks for sharing.

best regards, Jill

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:01
English to Russian
+ ...
I'm your fan, Barnaby Feb 22, 2003

I\'m very fond of your postings and really keen on little tips like this. They\'re as useful as they\'re simple.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
additional techniques Feb 22, 2003

Thanks for the tip.

Here are some others that most people already know - but are great to learn if you don\'t. Any others?

1) Hold SHIFT and press TAB in a table to go back to the previous field.

2) In Internet Explorer - you can enter a website beginning with www and ending with .com by just entering the middle part and pressing CRTL and ENTER at the same time. The system will automatically add the www and .com for you. Example, for www.amazon.com just type \"amazon\" and then press CRTL and ENTER.

3) In word, press and hold CRTL and ALT and then E for the euro symbol, R for the registered trademark symbol, C for copyright, and T for TM.

4) To edit Pictures and Graphs in Word (created with VISIO TOOLS, for example):

a) Go to the graphic image in Word and click on it. A black box should appear around the image.

b) Press Shift-Ctrl-F9 simultaneously.

c) A Box with the word PICTURE should appear.

d) Click the RIGHT mouse button anywhere inside the graphic image.

e) A menu should appear. Select the EDIT PICTURE option.

f) You can now click on the text in the picture and edit it. You do not have to repeat this procedure the next time you open the file.

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
It's impressive, indeed Feb 22, 2003

This \"technique\" came with Windows 3.1, IMHO...

Regards

Andrzej

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
But not everyone is aware of it Feb 22, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-22 16:42, andrzejl wrote:

This \"technique\" came with Windows 3.1, IMHO...

Of course - shortcuts such as these have been around for quite some time, but you\'d be surprised to see how many people don\'t know about them. Even though it may not be news to you (or me, for that matter), this may be helpful for others...

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - and one for the road! Feb 22, 2003

Many thanks Jill, Nikita, Jeff and Andrzez for your kind words; and thank you, Jeff, for your own additions - very useful indeed.

Thus emboldened, here is one more which - I hardly dare say it - I discovered only recently. It\'s a real boon if you don\'t already know it:

To open Windows Explorer directly, just press the Windows key (next to Ctrl) + E.

All the best

Barnaby

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows and Word for Translators Feb 22, 2003

You\' ll find plenty more of these in this article!

http://www.translatum.gr/journal/2/keyboard-shortcuts.htm

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
question Feb 22, 2003

does anyone know how to use the alt+tab trick on a Mac? I\'ve been using that shortcut for years, but now it doesn\'t really seem to work on my eMac. Actually, it works, but it only switches frames within one application. It doesn\'t let me switch applications.

I\'ll be glad if someone knows how to do this!

United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
question Feb 22, 2003

does anyone know how to use the alt+tab trick on a Mac? I\'ve been using that shortcut for years, but now it doesn\'t really seem to work on my eMac. Actually, it works, but it only switches frames within one application. It doesn\'t let me switch applications.

I\'ll be glad if someone knows how to do this!

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Use Apple key (Command) + Tab Feb 23, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-22 22:48, EAdams wrote:

does anyone know how to use the alt+tab trick on a Mac?

Command+Tab is the way I switch between open applications in Mac OS 9.

United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 23, 2003

It works!!!! that\'s great! Thanks a million!

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:01
German to English
+ ...
Repetitive strain Feb 24, 2003

A lot of these tips are great to prevent repetitive strain injuries (from mouse use), but be careful with keyboard shortcuts, too. I was hurting my muscles by overusing the cut, copy, and paste shortcuts (stretching my hand too much - maybe not a problem if you have larger hands). My solution was a Kinesis keyboard, which has the Ctrl and Alt keys in the thumb position, rather than the pinkie finger position. Helped a lot, but took some getting used to. I think I type much faster now with this set up because I don\'t have to stretch nearly as much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alt + Tab to move between applications

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search