Per word or per hour
Thread poster: Steve Booth

Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 6, 2007

Is it better to charge per word or per hour? I find a per hour rate covers all because if the translation is more technical then it takes longer and seems to equate to an increased per word rate but from looking around most agencies seem to want a rate per 1000 words.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per Word is the Norm Nov 6, 2007

With most translation, with the exception of unusual circumstances, per word is the norm.

You figure out how difficult it is then quote by the word. The client often wants a commitment in advance.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do a forum search... Nov 8, 2007

Emandan wrote:
Is it better to charge per word or per hour?

http://www.proz.com/post/709291#709291 and further.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
German to English
+ ...
Depends on the country Nov 8, 2007

Are you working with UK agencies? I believe they use a per-1,000-words rate. In the US, it's just a straight per-word rate (some use the source, some the target count). In Germany, it's lines - usually a line = 55 characters including spaces. Some countries use the page as a measure and pages are defined in different ways.

I would go with words, but you could, for example, charge a higher rate for certain types of translation. Also, I charge hourly for changes, editing, etc. Many people have "mixed" rates like this.

Fabiana Zardo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In Brazil Nov 15, 2007

In Brazil, we rate per page ou per character. We also do it per word, but I don't like that very much.

I think that here, people think we would overate if we charged per hour (like we have time to spare!!!!). It varies from country to country.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The poster MK-Interpreter asked me to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per word or per hour

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search