Thread poster: Todd Field
Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:11
Portuguese to English
Mar 2, 2003

Dear fellow translators,

First off, thanks to those who responded to our previous postings. Your assistance is very much appreciated!

We have come up with another question revolving around how to get the most out of TRADOS 5.5 Freelance. Hopefully those with experience will be able to point us in the right direction. Here goes…

In practical terms, what would you say is your typical time allotment between the different components
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

First off, thanks to those who responded to our previous postings. Your assistance is very much appreciated!

We have come up with another question revolving around how to get the most out of TRADOS 5.5 Freelance. Hopefully those with experience will be able to point us in the right direction. Here goes…

In practical terms, what would you say is your typical time allotment between the different components of the software? To put it another way, if efficiency is the ultimate goal, when and why do you (as a freelance user) elect to use these same components?

If our question sounds a bit cloudy, we are looking for answers along the lines of \"I always do all my projects in Workspace, in which 80% of my work is done using Translator\'s Workbench. Outside of the Workspace interface, I work about 15% of the time in MultiTerm (the goal being xxx...), and then 5% of the time in WinAlign (the goal being xxx…)\"

I hope the question makes sense. We are ready to use the software, but wanted to get a clearer view of the \"forest\" since the online tutorials seem to adequately cover all the \"trees\".

Thanks in advance,

Todd and Monica.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-03-02 15:38]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-02 15:45]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I dropped Trados Mar 20, 2003

That does not answer your question, but I dropped Trados from my computer last time I installed the software and use Wordfast instead. Why bother?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:11
English to German
+ ...
Because your clients might require you to bother... Mar 21, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-20 14:43, hpesch wrote:

That does not answer your question, but I dropped Trados from my computer last time I installed the software and use Wordfast instead. Why bother?

Using Trados is no hard condition for the freelancers working with me - but since it\'s much easier for me to incorporate work delivered that\'s been prepared using Trados, guess where the business goes...

... See more
Quote:

Using Trados is no hard condition for the freelancers working with me - but since it\'s much easier for me to incorporate work delivered that\'s been prepared using Trados, guess where the business goes...

Answering Todd\'s original question, I don\'t think there\'s a straightforward answer - it depends very much on the structure of your work. The only percentage I can give is for Workspace - 0%.

Best, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
German to English
Never have used Workspace Mar 21, 2003

I haven\'t used Workspace, mainly because no one has sent me job \"packages.\" I\'d say most of my work using Trados is divided equally between Tag Editor and Workbench. I\'ve not found Mutliterm to be of much use because of the relative awkwardness of adding terminology. On the other hand, I don\'t claim to be a Trados power user, as I prefer to use DejaVu which can import/export files usable by Trados Workbench/Tag editor.

Kevin Fulton

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
English to French
Knowledge and compatibility Mar 21, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-21 10:24, Lemster wrote:

Quote:

Using Trados is no hard condition for the freelancers working with me - but since it\'s much easier for me to ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-21 10:24, Lemster wrote:

Quote:

Best, Ralf

How is that easier? It\'s just a matter of the guy using Wordfast and knowing what he is doing. Period.

Are you even sure you can recognize a Trados segmented document from a Wordfast one? As a PM, your workflow is exactly the same with a translator using Wordfast or a translator using Trados, providing the guy knows how to handle Wordfast -far from difficult, and a lot easier then Trados.

True, my knowledge of Trados is limited, but I have worked with a number of Trados-only projects, using exclusively Wordfast...and occasionnaly helping the PMs to fix the problems they had with their trados translators (Trados users providing corrupted files, messed up segmentation...)

The fact that many Wordfast users own a copy of Trados that they have cast away and do not use tends to show that Trados is more of an arbitrary then a must-have.

After all, as a PM working with Trados, what does one want? A PM wants to be able to send the translator a document and get it back, properly segmented and translated. The PM may also want him to use prepared glossaries (possibly multiterm). Right?

Why should the PM bother about how the translator does it, so long as the result is the same? Wordfast can generate fully Trados compliant segmentation, Trados usable TMs, integrate MT glossaries ...and a lot more.

Really, I do not see how much easier it is to use antics like Tradosaurus when you can use a sleek, performant software like Wordfast for one quarter of the price, that won\'t cludge up your HD, and get the same result too. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strategies for using different components of TRADOS 5.5 freelance software

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »