https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/9224-trados_question.html

TRADOS Question
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2003

In a paragraph, I have something like the following:

To do A, press 1. To do B, press 2. To do C, press 3. To do D, Press 4. To do E, press 5. To do F, press 6.

Is there any way that you can set the segmentation rule to break at the number + period combinations? right now, Trados treat them as a single sentence since the period is after a number and is construed as a decimal point probably.

Thanks for your help.

... See more
In a paragraph, I have something like the following:

To do A, press 1. To do B, press 2. To do C, press 3. To do D, Press 4. To do E, press 5. To do F, press 6.

Is there any way that you can set the segmentation rule to break at the number + period combinations? right now, Trados treat them as a single sentence since the period is after a number and is construed as a decimal point probably.

Thanks for your help.

Libin
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Shrink segment? Mar 7, 2003

Did you try clicking on \"Shrink segment?\"

It may work.

Monika

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, That is what I have been doing. Mar 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:09, monika wrote:

It may work.

Monika

Thanks, Monika, for your reminder. That is what I have been doing. I have quite few paragraphs that have the similar phrases from press 1 to press 8. To get the first item, you need shrink 7 times. It is kind of cumbersome.

Thanks,

Libin... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:09, monika wrote:

It may work.

Monika

Thanks, Monika, for your reminder. That is what I have been doing. I have quite few paragraphs that have the similar phrases from press 1 to press 8. To get the first item, you need shrink 7 times. It is kind of cumbersome.

Thanks,

Libin

Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:34
Italian to English
In memoriam
Have you ticked "Number Stop"? Mar 7, 2003

If, in Workbench, you go to:

File\\Setup\\Segmentation Rules

and enable \"Number Stop\" by ticking the box, that should do the trick.

There\'s also a Help entry on the \"Full Stop End Rule\".

HTH

Giles

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Number Stop Mar 7, 2003

You can change the segmentation rules. In Workbench go to File/Setup/Segmentation rules.

For Stop Charakter . in the middle section Rules check Number Stop. Now a number followed by a dot should be the end of a segment.

In this or in other cases, you could also use a workaround with Search and Replace, thus preparing your Word file.

Search \". To do\"

and Replace by \". Paragraph mark To do\".

HTH

Daniel

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Insert a tab character Mar 7, 2003

I often get files that were extracted from a .pdf, and there are only spaces following the period in a numbered list (or, for that matter, a bulleted list).

I simply prep the Word file by replacing the spaces after the period with a tab character, and then Trados will ignore the numbers in numbered steps. The same procedure works for bulleted lists.

It\'s a bit more work initially, but I consider it a good investment of my time. And it keeps the TM \"clean\".

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:39, Daniel Meier wrote:

You can change the segmentation rules. In Workbench go to File/Setup/Segmentation rules.

For Stop Charakter . in the middle section Rules check Number Stop. Now a number followed by a dot should be the end of a segment.

In this or in other cases, you could also use a workaround with Search and Replace, thus preparing your Word file.

Search \". To do\"
... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:39, Daniel Meier wrote:

Search \". To do\"

and Replace by \". Paragraph mark To do\".

HTH

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel, for your suggestion. I think I tried that before. However, if you check the \"Number Stop\" check box, Trados treat period as boundary marker ONLY if it is preceded by a number. If it is not preceded by a number, it will not be recognized as a sentence.

I will give it a little more test and see what happens.

Kind regards,

Libin

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-08 17:20] ▲ Collapse

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adding a tab should work. Mar 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 19:16, uel wrote:

I often get files that were extracted from a .pdf, and there are only spaces following the period in a numbered list (or, for that matter, a bulleted list).

I simply prep the Word file by replacing the spaces after the period with a tab character, and then Trados will ignore the numbers in numbered steps. The same procedure works for bulleted lists.

It\'s a bit more work i... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-07 19:16, uel wrote:

It\'s a bit more work initially, but I consider it a good investment of my time. And it keeps the TM \"clean\".

Thanks, Ulrike. Adding a tab should work. It looks like that we cannot always expect the program to do everything for us.

Thanks a lot.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS Question

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »