Thread poster: Andres & Leticia Enjuto

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2008

Take a look at what someone posted in Yahoo! Answers.

"What are the best websites to go to to get professional translation help for free?
Hello. I know I come here and ask for help with translations-I am working on a literary project. I am interested in getting translations done in as many langugaes as possible, but I don't have money to pay professionals for their translation help. I had some problems dealing with Proz.com, *************.com and **************.com. Does anyone know of any websites out there where I can getr professional translation help for free besides these three? Does anyone know where I can get language exchange help in ANY language-even obscure languages? I tried getting translation help in ******.com but I didn't get repsonses to every posting I posted there. I tried http://www.*************.com but I never got any responses to my postings, and the only way to contact other members is if you pay for membership.

Please let me know-I would appreciate your help."

Here's one of the answers: "How about you study for years to learn a second language to translator level, then selflessly give your time away manning a website for hours a day, for free?

You aren't going to find such a website."

Isn't he expecting too much? I mean, he's not looking for help for a non-profit organization nor to translate a single sentence!

I'm not against volunteer translation, please don't get me wrong. Actually, I'm a volunteer translator myself but I can't believe there's still some people who think that translation is a mere hobby, not a real profession.

Sorry for my little rant.

Regards,

Letty

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
German to English
+ ...
Of course it's asking too much Jan 10, 2008

I have occasionally helped out friends with small translations, or rather sitting down and going through German-language documents with them, but recently I was asked by an acquaintance to do a longer translation for free that I declined. What most people not in the field don't realize is the amount of time it actually takes to do a translation. When I tell them how much I can do per day, they are really surprised it's "so little." If the person who asked me had realized I would have to take about 2 days off of work to do the translation, I don't think he would have asked.

Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:51
Member (2009)
English to French
of course Jan 10, 2008

Sad really, and for some reason, the other answer doesn't reassure me:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Try www.translate.google.com

I hope most people don't think google translation is professional.

What did he actually expect? "Free professional services" is an oxymoron.

Anyway, good luck to this guy finding what he is looking for. What did he actually expect?

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have you seen the selected answer? Jan 10, 2008

Have you seen the which answer got selected as 'the best'? 'Use Google translation'!

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hmmm...a literary project? Jan 10, 2008

I wonder if this person is also planning to selflessly hand out copies of this project for free, not to mention refuse paying work in order to do this.
In the past few months I've done volunteer work on a website for an NGO and at the moment I'm scrambling to help out someone else with a very good cause, but the nerve of someone being UPSET that we are not all falling over ourselves to translate for free is rather depressing.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To tell you the truth... Jan 10, 2008

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

Sad really, and for some reason, the other answer doesn't reassure me:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Try www.translate.google.com

What did he actually expect? "Free professional services" is an oxymoron.

Anyway, good luck to this guy finding what he is looking for. What did he actually expect?

I wish him BAD luck! So next time he wants to have a quality translation done by a professional, he won't rely on Machine Translation, especially for so many languages! Another thing: What about quality assurance? Does he expect to find a free Machine Proofreader also?

I hope most people don't think google translation is professional.

Unfortunately, many people do.

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:51
Polish to English
+ ...
A short test to convince : Jan 10, 2008

a simple EN>DE translation by google translate:

The boy's cat is stupid. = Der Junge Katze ist dumm.

That's THE professionalism for free, isn't it?

Enjoy!

AM

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I wish he uses the best answer Jan 11, 2008

I don't think there is anything more evil to wish this person than to go ahead and use the most popular answer. Use Google Translate for a literary project, print it (hopefully at a fee) and get bankrupt because nobody finds that what he is offering is worth paying for, just like he didn't find that translation is worth paying for.

I really wish he picks the most popular answer! Really!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
English to German
+ ...
Did you see his previous posting? Jan 11, 2008

"Are there any free sites where I can get translations done by professionals for free besides Proz.com?

Hello. I'm interested in getting a series of translations done in every language. I'd like to know, are there any free sites where I can get professional translations done for free besides Proz.com? Please let me know. Thank you."

For free besides Proz.com?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Great expectations...

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search