Opinion sought on short Spanish art text.
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

I have been given a 1 page text, Spanish to English, which apparently is a speech to introduce a painting exhibition. (I won't go into why I accepted the job in the first place, but I did.)

Now, I know art is not one of my working fields but I have done some research and now know a little bit about the artist in question. Even so I am having an inordinate amount of trouble understanding the text. I wonder if anyone out there is willing to take a quick look at it and just tell me if it's well-written, but "arty" (and that's why I don't understand it) or if it's a strange piece of writing.

If there is any reason why I should not make this request I trust someone will let me know.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:25
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Patyjs Feb 7, 2008

I'd be happy to have a look at it. I'm used to "artsy" critical texts which use language which is dense and sometimes verging on the insane. Feel free to send to to me by e-mail if you'd like.

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Juliana Feb 7, 2008

It's on its way!

Michael Dorrity  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Send it over Feb 11, 2008

Hey Patyjs

Can't promise any results but I'd also be willing to have a look at the text and give you another opinion if you'd like.

Un saludo

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Michael, Feb 11, 2008

Juliana very kindly looked at it for me. Turns out its par for the course as far as art texts go. She was also gracious enough to give me feedback on my translation of it (which wasn't bad apparently) so unless you're having a really quiet, boring day....

I see you've just become a member... welcome to the community and good luck with your new enterprise!

Thanks again for the offer.

paty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinion sought on short Spanish art text.

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search