translation of plurilingual document
Thread poster: cos2877
cos2877
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2008

I have this document to translate from Spanish into English. It is a photocopy of three passports and one identity document, certified by a notary public.

The first page of all passports is in Spanish, with translations into English, French and Portuguese.

The second page provides a translation into English, except for the marital status.

Two of the passports include the fourth and fifth pages which are mostly in Spanish (except for two captions which are also translated into English).

The Id is in Spanish as well as the Notary's certification and seals.

This translation must be given a public translation form, only without the Colegio's legalization or the Apostille.

I talked to the Colegio and they say I must only translate the Spanish parts, and should not transcribe the English parts.

My question is, what is the standard practice in this cases? Last time I translated an Argentine Passport it was all in Spanish.

It makes no sense to translate what is already in English...on the other hand I am afraid that the translation will make no sense unless I transcribe all the data.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Follow your client's instructions Feb 27, 2008

WRT the pages already in English, my standard practice is to write [page written in English] at the top of each one.

cos2877
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a note Feb 27, 2008

That would work if it weren't for the marital status that has been left untranslated.

I was thinking of putting this caption at the end of each page:
[Other texts in Spanish are translated within the document itself]

only I am not sure if I should use the word "texts"...("phrase" "captions"?)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation of plurilingual document

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search