japanese english electronic dictionary so many choices
Thread poster: Scarlett Orork

Scarlett Orork
United States
Local time: 09:22
Japanese to English
Mar 27, 2008

I am now cross-eyed looking at the vast array of electronic dictionary choices available on-line. My needs are very simple and I am curious if the collection of knowledgable people on this site can assist a novice. My japanese level is between beginner and intermediate. I am not so interested in all of the bells and whistles available as I am being able to do the following:

Enter the Japanese word (in hiragana/katakana)------find the English meaning.

Enter the English word---------------find the Japanese Kanji and pronunciation (in hiragana/katakana).

Nice but not necessary: Write a Kanji character-----------find meaning and pronunciation.

Am I asking too much? Too little? I've seen so many advertisements, but I know that the people who actually use them are the very people to ask!
Thank you for any advice,
Scarlett

Direct link Reply with quote

Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:22
Japanese to German
+ ...
Always a good choice as a starter... Mar 27, 2008

Hello Scarlett,

as a first useful link for your case...just use the "search for words in the dictionary" and you can disregard other options:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

regards,

Katrin

Scarlett Orork
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's a big jissho! Mar 27, 2008

vie geits! (my spelling is wrong, sorry),
Thank you for that great site. I will definitely be able to use it for e-mailing but I might have a problem with putting it in my back pocket. I've got a pretty old dinosaur computer! I hear a lot about "wordbank V90"  やりがいがありませんか。  Is it worth the money for basically just conversational use?
おしえてください。
Scarlett
afriendinamerica.com

Scarlett Orork
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Mar 27, 2008

Sorry Katrin,
I just noticed in my first posting that I neglected to mention that I wanted a portable electronic dictionary! Next time I'll try to be more explicit!
Scarlett

Daniel Felice
United States
Japanese to English
Wordtank Mar 27, 2008

I think what you have been hearing about is the Canon Wordtank (not Wordbank) V90. I have the similar Wordtank V80.

Both models will do everything that you're asking for. There are some annoying quirks in the interface, and the handwriting recognition on mine is not as good as some other dictionaries I've seen (such as Rakubiki Jiten Kanji Sonomama on the Nintendo DS). Still, I use it all the time and am generally happy with it.

Whether it's worth the money depends on your situation, of course, but I will note that it cost me less than the 52,000 yen list price.

By the way, if you happen to own a Nintendo DS, you can get Rakubiki Jiten for less than 5,000 yen, so you might want to start there and see if it meets your needs before dropping tens of thousands on a Wordtank.

Hope that helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

japanese english electronic dictionary so many choices

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search