A very interesting site and a superb free word processor!
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
French to English
Apr 8, 2003

Although intended for editors rather than translators, editorium is an extraordinarily interesting site, full of useful resources and ideas. The site is: http://www.editorium.com

and you can subscribe to the free newsletter at: editorium-subscribe@topica.com.

The word processor? It\'s the best clone of Word that I\'ve ever seen and it\'s free (for the moment). The link is: http://www.softmaker.de/freetm.htm

There is of course no obligation to go via Editorium but I think it would be courteous to at least take a look at their site. It\'s well worth it in my view.

All the best

Barnaby

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Textmaker Apr 8, 2003

The Windows version of Textmaker has been around for some years now and it is indeed a very good clone. It used to be free in a \"lite\" version, and there was a full version which Softmaker charged relatively little for and which had file filters for MS Word etc. Without the filters, it was nice but not a very practical proposition. I don\'t know whether this is still Softmaker\'s policy.

A Linux version came out last month and I have been trying it out. It is surprisingly good. The full version is due to appear in May and will cost 50 Euro. Only the word processor, note; the spreadsheet and other components are set to follow in due course.

A big argument for Textmaker is that it loads quickly - a couple of seconds, against its main rival, StarOffice/OpenOffice.org, which takes notoriously long (typically 30 to 50 seconds) to load first time around. Once loaded, though, I\'ve found OpenOffice.org to be very fast, and Textmaker sluggish. Whether that\'s the trade-off, or just a quirk of my system, is perhaps too early to tell.

Textmaker apparently is extremely popular on handheld PCs.

Marc

smorales30  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 8, 2003

Wow...thanks for the link! I am an editor too and I think it is a real useful site.

Silvia

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:50
English to Hindi
+ ...
Excellent Apr 8, 2003

This is excellent. The site looks good and it is a pleasure exploring it.
[addsig]

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
Thank you! Apr 8, 2003

How do you find such great stuff? Thanks for sharing it...

Andrea

[ This Message was edited by: AIM on 2003-04-08 19:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A very interesting site and a superb free word processor!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search