International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

New Terminology portal from Microsoft
Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Microsoft today launched a new terminology portal, which makes available the terminology from the Microsoft Glossaries through a new Web interface.

You can read more about it in my blog About Translation, or go directly to the Microsoft Language Portal and try it out for yourself.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:23
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Great news! Apr 1, 2008

And thanks for passing it on, Riccardo!

The new portal will surely make my work easier on a number of projects.

And a fine blog, too!

M

[Edited at 2008-04-01 08:55]

Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Excellent! Apr 1, 2008

This is great stuff, thanks Riccardo!

I have tested it a little and it will prove very useful.

Natasha

Marcus Geibel
Germany
English to German
Just perfect! Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for posting this, Riccardo!!

Cheers!

Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
great resource Apr 1, 2008

I can't believe they actually added Luxembourgish to the glossary, I'm really impressed. This is a very useful resource indeed, thanks for posting it, Riccardo!

Christine

pzchvpr  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Riccardo Apr 1, 2008

Great resource!
Thank you for sharing this. Note that Microsoft has a link to the ATA 49th conference in November in the events section!

[Edited at 2008-04-01 10:06]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
What a great tool! Apr 1, 2008

Thank you Riccardo

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I have downloaded that tool beta Apr 1, 2008

Hi! But just cannot find it anywhere on the desktop and don´t understand how that works. Has anyone already tried it out. Brandis

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:23
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
There is nothing to download Apr 1, 2008

Brandis wrote:
Hi! But just cannot find it anywhere on the desktop and don´t understand how that works. Has anyone already tried it out. Brandis

It is a terminology database. On-line!

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I have checked that much. Apr 1, 2008

gianfranco wrote:

Brandis wrote:

It is a terminology database. On-line!
But there is a a silverlight updation tool beta edition. I couldn´t find what it does. Just now I have opened that program, but it does not execute any functions other than asking for updates, whether automated or prompted be set. Brandis

Anindita Basu  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:53
English to Bengali
+ ...
Thanks a tonne Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for posting this, Riccardo.

It even has my languages

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Another resource... Apr 1, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
Microsoft today launched a new terminology portal, which makes available the terminology from the Microsoft Glossaries through a new Web interface.

Good news, yes. It made me think I must also mention a source for termology from the open source industry, open-tran.eu. This resource translates between any of the languages listed there, based on Gnome, KDE, Mozilla, OOo and a few other open source translations.

http://open-tran.eu/

You can also search for translations by typing in the language codes in the URL. Say you want to search for "maskine" from Danish to Italian. Your URL would be:

http://DA.IT.open-tran.eu/suggest/maskine

What the portal does, is to search for sentenes or phrases that contain the source term, and it then gives the source+target for that phrase. Not very intelligent, but potentially useful.

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Riccardo Apr 1, 2008

I just wanted to post it right now but apparently you were a few hours quicker. Actually, this source is quite useful for people who do not have to consult the terminology a lot. One of the drawbacks is that just one page is displayed. You have the option to go to other pages, but there is no indicator as to how many pages there are in total.
Personally, I liked the glossaries better because I use a tool that processes the MS glossary formats and allows me to start a search of the glossaries (source and target) from whithin my translation tool and to copy/insert whatever entry I choose.
@Gianfranco: In the upper left-hand corner of the page there is a link 'Click here to install silverlight' (-> http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/default.aspx).

woodstar  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 2, 2008

Thanks to both Riccardo and Samuel, they seem great sources!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Terminology portal from Microsoft

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search