https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/10189-any_good_digital_pocket_translators.html

Any Good Digital Pocket Translators?
Thread poster: Antonio Posada
Antonio Posada
Antonio Posada
Local time: 12:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 11, 2003

My girlfriend asked if I could recommend any of those digital pocket translators sold in stores. As I never use these, quite frankly, I have no idea if they are any good. Does anybody know? Whould like to hear from you all. Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: Antonio Posada on 2003-04-12 21:49]

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:58
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just for survival Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 23:03, Antonio Posada wrote:

My girlfriend asked if I could recommend any of those digital pocket translators sold in stores. As I never use these, quite frankly, I have no idea if they are any good. Does anybody know?

I\'ve never used them either but I can suppose that from the professional point of view these tools are rubbish (like any other type of MT).

... See more
Quote:

My girlfriend asked if I could recommend any of those digital pocket translators sold in stores. As I never use these, quite frankly, I have no idea if they are any good. Does anybody know?

I\'ve never used them either but I can suppose that from the professional point of view these tools are rubbish (like any other type of MT).

If you want just to survive in a foreign country they may be of some use.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin ▲ Collapse

Antonio Posada
Antonio Posada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Just what I thought! Apr 13, 2003

My personal experiences with pocket translators/dictionaries have been few and disappointing. I agree: maybe for travel, but not for much else. That said, I did want to know if my first impressions might be wrong. Thanks for taking the time to provide input. Antonio

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree about pocket translators, however... Apr 14, 2003

dictionaries made for Palm devices, Pocket PCs and more recently the Zaurus are becoming increasingly useful. It can be handy having a 70,000-80,000 word dictionary on a handheld device - even more so if the dictionary program allows for your own additions.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 08:43, Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 23:0... See more
dictionaries made for Palm devices, Pocket PCs and more recently the Zaurus are becoming increasingly useful. It can be handy having a 70,000-80,000 word dictionary on a handheld device - even more so if the dictionary program allows for your own additions.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 08:43, Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Quote:

If you want just to survive in a foreign country they may be of some use.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:58
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dimensions: 90 x 135 x 23 mm; Volume: 125,000 words with definitions Apr 14, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-04-14 15:23, Rick Henry wrote:

It can be handy having a 70,000-80,000 word dictionary on a handheld device

[quote]

Yes, I know one really handy handheld tool: Harrap\'s Mini English Dictionary. Not digital though. But I would like to underline once again: 125,000 words with definitions on your palm!!!

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Antonio Posada
Antonio Posada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pocket Translators Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Nikita Kobrin and Rick Henry for your input. I currently use Merriam-Webster\'s CD-rom dictionary. 500+ MB, 300,000+ words. It even has pronunciation. This is a tool I would recommend to anyone, even translators. Saves heaps of time. However, it\'s too big to fit on a PalmPilot. I do wish I could find a similarly good Spanish dictionary. In the meantime, will check into Zaurus and Harrap\'s.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any Good Digital Pocket Translators?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »