looking for a copy of EN 280 standard in English
Thread poster: Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
German to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2008

Does anyone have a copy of the EN 280 standard in English (title: 'Mobile elevating work platforms - Design calculations - Stability criteria - Construction - Safety - Examinations and tests')?

I'm translating what's supposed to be the operating instructions for a work basket for a crane (from German), and the author has copied all the clauses in section 7.1.1 of the German version of the EN 280 standard (which defines the requirements for operater manuals for this sort of equipment) and annotated them. No matter how well I translate the German, it's bound to differ from the wording of the English version of the standard. Of course it's available for a price (starting at USD 130 for a soft copy or up to EUR 330 for the hardcopy edition of the BS EN version...).

[Edited at 2008-04-10 19:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 07:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Idea... Apr 10, 2008

Ken Cox wrote:

... the author has copied all the clauses in ... the EN 280 standard ... and annotated them. No matter how well I translate the German, it's bound to differ from the wording of the English version of the standard. Of course it's available for a price (starting at USD 130 for a soft copy or up to EUR 330 for the hardcopy edition of the BS EN version...).

[Edited at 2008-04-10 19:13]

The last time that kind of problem arose in my work I told my client about it and suggested that he should invest in the standard (i.e. buy it!) and lend it to me so I could do the translation. He agreed. And it cost him more than the cost of my translation.

MediaMatrix

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Libraries Apr 11, 2008

Some standards can be inspected in (a small number of) libraries, e.g.:

www.beuth.de/php/partner_neu.php?typ=Normenverkauf&firstcall=false&gesamt=true

But generally, what Mediamatrix said.

Marc

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Marc Apr 11, 2008

Thanks -- nice to know, but travelling to Germany would effectively cost me much more than buying the standard

Regards -- Ken

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
looking for a copy of EN 280 standard in English Apr 12, 2008

Ken, those were just examples. I presume that the Dutch standards authorities have similar libraries. Whether the English versions of the standards would be available there, I don't know.

Marc

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Technical University Libraries .. Apr 13, 2008

When I recently had a similar situation, I ended up sending an e-mail to the Library at a local Technical University ... They checked if they had them, and went there to do the work, and make the necessary prints.
Particularly the English versions are commonly available at their databases which are available on-site.
English is often the source language - and even the only version - and they should therefore be widely available to students.

Give it a go ..

Best regards
Birthe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for a copy of EN 280 standard in English

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search